Mailing List Archive

Mailman3 is now deployed to production, mailing lists are upgrading
Hello,

TLDR: Mailman3 is now available for general use, all mailing lists will be
migrated in the next couple of weeks, providing everyone with a much better
mailing list experience. You will notice some changes, let us know if you
run into issues.

Long version:
We're happy to announce that Mailman3 is available for general use and some
have already been migrated. You can find the current mailing lists that
have been migrated at [1] and their archives in "hyperkitty"[2].

Mailman3 is a full rewrite of our previous mailing list software
(Mailman2), and the migration is long overdue. Some key new features that
we want to highlight:
* One user account (no more monthly password reminder emails or list
passwords)
* Ability to search through archives
* Posting through a web interface
* A web interface that doesn't look like its from the early 2000s
* Better security of accounts and messages

page in [3]. We are going to slowly migrate the rest of mailing lists (all
+700 of them), you can track the work in [4]. All new mailing lists from
now on will be only on Mailman3.

This means:
* We will send an email to admins of any mailing list right before
starting the upgrade process, and once it's finished.
* The link to subscribe to lists will change, please update your wiki
pages, documentation, etc. We will provide redirects though.
* Links to old archives for public mailing lists won't break. It will
stay at it is now and will become redirects shortly. But URLs of archived
emails of private mailing lists will break. This is necessary for improving
security of mailing lists. Keep it in mind that in the new system you can
easily search in the archives.

Given that in Mailman3, you can simply have one central account for all of
your mailing lists. We highly encourage you to make one [1], that way, you
can easily control what mailing lists you are subscribed to, easily join
new mailing lists and much more. This also makes administrating and
moderating mailing lists much easier.

If you have any questions or you encounter any issues, let us know! You can
create a Phabricator ticket ("Wikimedia-Mailing-lists" project) or ping us
on IRC in #wikimedia-tech.

We hope that Mailman3 brings much needed love to our mailing lists without
breaking your workflows (like reading mails by piping telnet into less or
something like that).

The umbrella ticket for the work: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T52864

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/
[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/