Mailing List Archive

Herald rules
Hi,
I'm really sorry for sending email to such a large venue but I couldn't
find a better mailing list. Feel free to ignore this email if you don't do
anything with Herald rules.

Herald rules, a set of rules in phabricator to automate the work, are
expensive and slowly making saving any change on phabricator slower and
slower. You can take a look at this ticket.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T108586>

As the result, we have been migrating these rules to maintenance bot
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/Maintenance_bot/>. Which means changes
won't be immediately applied anymore (and it'll take up to an hour and they
will be post-change).

If you see your Herald rule has been disabled, please don't enable it. If
you want to change it, you can make a PR in the maintenance bot source code.
<https://github.com/Ladsgroup/Phabricator-maintenance-bot> Please avoid
introducing new Herald rules if there's a similar functionality supported
by the bot. Just add it to the work list of the bot. An exception would be
on time-sensitive tickets. Like handling UBN ones. They will stay as Herald
rules.

Any sort of change to improve documentation, code health, adding new
functionality so we can migrate more Herald rules, or migrating existing
ones would be greatly appreciated. If there are bugs, feel free to create a
ticket for it
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/phabricator_maintenance_bot/>.

You can also create email filters to ignore emails triggered by maintenance
bot (which its activity will increase).

Best
--
Amir (he/him)
Re: Herald rules [ In reply to ]
Have we considered asking upstream Phabricator to e.g. a non-blocking mode
for a Herald rule? These would e.g. be processed post-send in PHP or in
some other queued manner internally. It would likely need to be restricted
and (to avoid notification complexity) might also be automatically tied to
the action being "silent" like we do for these bots.

This might not replace the bot, but it would be a more widely useful and
beneficial investment perhaps.

-- Timo