Mailing List Archive

Working with templates: Looking for wikis who want early access to several improvements
Hello! Our team, Wikimedia Germany’s Technical Wishes project [1], is
developing a series of improvements to make working with templates easier.
Maybe you’ve already heard of some of the projects that have recently been
deployed: [2] [3] [4]. We plan to release more improvements to make working
with templates easier over the course of this year:

It will become easier to find templates and to insert them into a page. [5]
Removing a template from a page (with Visual Editor) will become easier. [6]
Several problems with the existing interface for editing templates in the
VisualEditor will be tackled. [7]
Template creators and maintainers will be offered more guidance when they
are managing TemplateData with the template documentation editor. [8]

Now we’re looking for a few wikis who want to be the first to benefit from
these changes. If your wiki community is interested in this, all the
improvements listed above would be deployed to your wiki in a series of
releases, likely between May and July 2021. Of course, each deployment
would be announced beforehand.

We’re hoping for wikis of different sizes, both Wikipedias and sister
projects, and wikis with different scripts and writing directions. The
wikis should use TemplateData and ideally have the VisualEditor as a
default feature.

Is your wiki community interested to have early access to these
improvements? Email me or let me know on my talk page.[9]

Best,
Johanna

[1] Technical Wishes project:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes
[2] Bracket matching:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Bracket_Matching
[3] Improved color scheme for syntax highlighting:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Improved_Color_Scheme_of_Syntax_Highlighting
[4] Line numbering:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Line_Numbering
[5] Finding and inserting templates:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Finding_and_inserting_templates
[6] Removing a template from a page using the VisualEditor:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Removing_a_template_from_a_page_using_the_VisualEditor
[7] VisualEditor template dialog improvements:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/VisualEditor_template_dialog_improvements
[8] TemplateData editor improvements:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Template_data_editor_improvements
[9] talk page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Johanna_Strodt_(WMDE)

--
Johanna Strodt
Projektmanagerin Kommunikation Communitys Technische Wunschliste

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissens der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de