Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki 1.36-beta has been branched
Hey all,

This is a quick note to highlight that the REL1_36 branch has now been
created for MediaWiki core and each of the extensions and skins in
Wikimedia git[0]. This is the first step in the release process for
MediaWiki 1.36, which should be out in late May 2021, approximately nine
months after MediaWiki 1.35.

The branches reflect (or are at least very close to) the code as of the
last 'alpha' branch for the release, 1.36.0-wmf.38, which was deployed to
Wikimedia wikis last week for MediaWiki itself and those extensions and
skins available there.

From now on patches that land in the main development branch of MediaWiki
and its bundled extensions and skins will be slated for the MediaWiki 1.37
release unless specifically backported[1].

If you are working on a critical bug fix that will affect the code in the
release, once the patch has been merged into the development branch, you
should propose it for backporting by cherry-picking to the REL1_36 branch.

If you are working on a new feature, that should now not be backported. If
you have an urgent case where the work should block release for everyone
else, please file a task against the `mw 1.36-release` project on
Phabricator.[2]

If you have tickets that are tagged for `mw-1.36-release`, please finish
them, untag them, or reach out to get them resolved in the next few days.

We hope to issue the first release candidate, 1.36.0-rc.0, in two weeks'
time, and if all goes well, to release MediaWiki 1.36.0 a few weeks after
that.

Thanks!
– Tyler

[0]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bundled_extensions_and_skins>
[1]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Backporting_fixes>
[2]: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mw-1.36-release/>
Re: MediaWiki 1.36-beta has been branched [ In reply to ]
Hi All

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:36 PM Tyler Cipriani <tcipriani@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> We hope to issue the first release candidate, 1.36.0-rc.0, in two weeks'
> time, and if all goes well, to release MediaWiki 1.36.0 a few weeks after
> that.

With the "two weeks" deadline of the April 27th approaching, the remaining
blockers to creating a release candidate are:

* Remove non-critical path interface styles out of legacy feature into more
appropriate homes: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T278576
* Zero Config Install of VE + Parsoid for MW 1.36:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T261220

The above blockers will delay the release of 1.36.0-rc.0 and are the only
blockers we are aware of at this time. No additional new features,
deprecations, or non-bug-fixes will be included in the 1.36 release.

Once these issues are resolved (both issues are in-progress as far as I'm
aware), rc.0 can be released, and the 1.36 release can resume.

Thanks!
– Tyler