Mailing List Archive

2021-04-07 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2021-04-07

= 2021-04-07 =

== Callouts ==
* RelEng: Note that the MediaWiki 1.36 branch will happen in the next day
or so. Next week's train is the first of 1.37.0-wmf.X.
* RelEng: Backport deployment training is available, the invite is in the
deployment calendar on gmail:
wikimedia.org_rudis09ii2mm5fk4hgdjeh1u64@group.calendar.google.com
* …

== Gerrit patches or GitHub Pull Requests for reviews or feedback ==

*

=== No updates ===
Community Tec, Anti-Harassment Tools, Editing, Product Infrastructure,
Parsing, Language, Inuka, Analytics, Cloud Services, Platform, Performance,
Quality & Test, Security
=== '''No notes provided''' ===

== SoS Meeting Bookkeeping ==
* Updates:

== Product ==

=== Growth ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Continuing work on Add Link https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Add_Link
** Continuing to work on on-wiki configuration
** Continuing design of mentor dashboard
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Mentor_dashboard
** Deploying Growth features as opt-in to tawiki, mswiki and simplewiki

=== iOS native app ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates: Beta is out.

=== Android native app ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous: Miriam for the research and PET for all your help getting
image recommendations ready.
* Updates: Timeline for image recommendations MVP release is set - should
be out to all users in 4 weeks.

=== Web ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Continuing to onboard new hires!
** Continuing our work on the language switcher instrumentation and A/B test
** Fixing a regression in the SearchSatisfaction instrument for the WVUI
search autocomplete treatment:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T274869#6963147 onward
** Finalising new CSS folder structure in Vector:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T264309.

=== Structured Data ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Special:MediaSearch is now the default search UI on Wikimedia Commons
for anonymous users
** Working on moving the MediaSearch UI code into a standalone extension.
This will include the structured data team's library of reusable Vue
components. Will announce this when the move happens.

=== Abstract Wikipedia ===
* Blocked by:
** None
* Blocking:
** None known.
* Thank yous:
** Architecture for their on-going advice and support through some thorny
issues.
* Updates:
** We closed Phase ?; we're now working on Phase ? (delta):
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Wikipedia/Phases
*** This is where we'll tie the back-end function orchestrator to the
front-end MW stack.

=== Library ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Continued work on partner description translations and The Wikipedia
Library extension
** New hompage designs are almost done, and work is starting on the logged
in experience

=== Vue.js ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Starting the technical decision-making process for introducing a
front-end build step - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T279108
** Storybook updates to WVUI: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/wvui/+/676236

== Technology ==

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** un-forking CiviCRM build tool to use upstream version in our CI:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T277500
** More work on email prefs page https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T268510
** Planning for integration with new API of backup card processor
** CiviCRM contact deduplication enhancements
** Better error handling for CentralNotice invalid banner name:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T173782
** Audit / reconciliation file processing improvements:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T277244,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T265545

=== Engineering Productivity ===

==== Release Engineering ====
* Blocked by:
** Wikidata: Migration of CI testing from stretch to buster is known broken
in Wikidata (T279068).
* Blocking:
** Fundraising tech might be reaching out for image tweaks
* Thank yous:
** James for pointing out we were behind on the 1.36 branch cut :)
* Updates:
** Note that the MediaWiki 1.36 branch will happen in the next day or so.
Next week's train is the first of 1.37.0-wmf.X.
** Backport deployment training is available, the invite is in the
deployment calendar on gmail:
wikimedia.org_rudis09ii2mm5fk4hgdjeh1u64@group.calendar.google.com
** [All] Deployments/Covid-19
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments/Covid-19
** Train Health
*** Last week: 1.36.0-wmf.37 [[phab:T274943]] <!--
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T274943 -->
*** This week: 1.36.0-wmf.38 [[phab:T278344]] <!--
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T278344 -->
*** This week: 1.37.0-wmf.1 [[phab:T278345]] <!--
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T278345 -->

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Recover lexemes on wdqs1009 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T276784
** Report latency metric to the wdqs-ui from the wdqs streaming updater -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T277637
** Reindex Khmer wikis to enable Khmer syllable reordering -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T274205
** Linked Data Fragments endpoint returns IllegalStateException -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T270476
** Many files on Commons cannot be found in WCQS -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T269302

=== Site Reliability Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
** None
* Blocking:
** None
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Wrapping up stuff, removing tech debt regarding old kubernetes clusters.
** Sizing up a mediawiki pod.

=== WMDE Technical Wishes ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Activating line numbering in the 2010 and 2017 wikitext editors, we plan
to deploy with next week’s train.
** Merged some simplifications which will affect reportupdater-queries,
will probably apply the changes to all scripts there.

== Cross-cutting ==
* Blocked by:
** [long term] Search Platform: PHP 8.0 work is long-term blocked on the
migration to ElasticSearch 7.0 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T263142
(or at least 6.7). This will be extra fun to back-port to REL1_36 as well
as REL1_35.
* Blocking:
* None.
* Thank yous:
* Updates:
** Nothing major.
** Next release of mediawiki-codesniffer likely soon.
** CI tools' upgrade status:
https://libraryupgrader2.wmcloud.org/status?branch=master