Mailing List Archive

[MediaWiki-Docker] Splitting PHP-FPM and httpd containers
Hey folks,

tl;dr: We're splitting PHP & HTTP containers in the MediaWiki-Docker[0]
development environment. If you're not currently using
MediaWiki-Docker, you can safely ignore this message.

---

We're planning to merge a change to the MediaWiki-Docker environment to
split PHP-FPM into a separate container from Apache.[1]

This should improve build efficiency for these images, and remove the
need to duplicate so much stuff (Apache, etc.) between versions of PHP.
It also unblocks support for PHP 7.3/7.4, and upgrades XDebug to the
3.x series.

What you'll need to change in existing setups:

In docker-compose-override.yaml:

* Linux users should specify a MW_DOCKER_UID & MW_DOCKER_GID for all
containers.

In .env:

* Set XDEBUG_ENABLE=true and XHPROF_ENABLE=true if you want the
corresponding extensions turned on.

* If you have an XDEBUG_CONFIG set, it may need updated to reflect
new configuration value names.[2]

Finally, I'd like to get it out the door this week, since it unblocks a
number of requested improvements, but feedback is of course welcome in
Gerrit.[1]

[0]. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Docker
[1]. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/630988
[2]. https://xdebug.org/docs/upgrade_guide

Thanks!

--
Brennen Bearnes
Release Engineering

Re: [MediaWiki-Docker] Splitting PHP-FPM and httpd containers [ In reply to ]
On 1/12/21 5:20 PM, Brennen Bearnes wrote:

> tl;dr: We're splitting PHP & HTTP containers in the MediaWiki-Docker[0]
> development environment.  If you're not currently using
> MediaWiki-Docker, you can safely ignore this message.
>
> [0]. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Docker
> [1]. https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/630988

After a round of feedback (thanks to Kosta, Željko, Timo, Bryan Davis,
and probably others I'm forgetting), we've gone ahead and merged this one.

A working list of related documentation updates:

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/mw-docker-docs

--
Brennen Bearnes
Release Engineering