Mailing List Archive

Google Season of Docs and new resources for technical writers
Hi Everyone,

Today Google announced the completion of the 2020 Season of Docs program
<https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants>. Google
Season of Docs (GSoD) <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs> pairs
technical writers with open source organizations to work on 3-month long
projects to improve documentation.

As part of this year’s GSoD program, Wikimedia’s participant, Gbadebo
Bello, developed new resources for folks working on technical documentation.
This included several templates for common types of documents:

1.

*Quick start guides documentation template*:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Quick_Start_Guides_Documentation_Template

2.

*Walkthroughs, how-tos, and tutorials templates*:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Walkthoughs,_how-tos_and_tutorials_templates

3.

*Library documentation template*:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Library_Documentation_Template

4.

*API documentation template*:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/API_Documentation_Template

Gbadebo also developed a review process to help improve the accuracy,
grammar, and style of technical documents. We’ll be testing and refining
this process in the coming months and encourage you to try it out with your
documentation, too.

You can read more about the review process on MediaWiki:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation/Documentation_Review_Processes

These resources are all linked from the Documentation page on MediaWiki.
Here you'll find a variety of resources to support documentation efforts on
Wikimedia technical projects: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Documentation

You can learn more about Gbadebo’s work this season in his final report
blog post:

https://gbahdeyboh.medium.com/google-season-of-docs-project-report-wikimedia-foundation-9949879aa959

Kindly,

Sarah R. Rodlund
Senior Technical Writer, Developer Advocacy
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_Advocacy>
srodlund@wikimedia.org
Re: Google Season of Docs and new resources for technical writers [ In reply to ]
This is great! thanks for sharing it and thank you Gbadebo for your efforts! ????

Kosta