Mailing List Archive

Releasing a small tool to explore wikipedia users contributions
Last week, we had a Indic Wikisource Proofreadthon 2020 event. see
here for full details

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Indic_Wikisource_Proofreadthon_2020

Though I did not participate in this event, (feels sad for this. Life
is too messy nowadays), I thought to build a small tool to give report
on any wikipedia user’s contribution on a given wikisite for a given
date range.

It may help to calculate, measure, decide on the contributions for
such competitions.

Mediawiki has a good API to fetch user contributions.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Usercontribs

Get all edits by a user.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/API:Usercontribs

For my wonder, there was a sample python code on the same page.

The code gave only 500 results. I wrote a loop to get the data batch
by batch till all the data is received.

Published the tool here –
https://github.com/tshrinivasan/wiki_user_contributions_report

How to run?

<start_date> <end_date>

This will give the data as a CSV file. Used a csv-to-html converter
utility to convert this to a web page with all the data in a sortable
table.

For my wonder, my friend Dinesh Karthik, converted this as a nice web
application with flask, dash and hosted in heroku.

https://wiki-user-contributions.herokuapp.com/

Source : https://github.com/Dineshkarthik/wiki-user-contributions

Thanks to Info-farmer for providing the idea, Bartosz Dziewo?ski on
wikipedia mailing list for answering all my questions, Dinesh for
making a web application quickly.

is a good place to ask any tech questions regarding wikipedia.

Thanks to all wikisource contributors for the event and in general.

T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com

Re: Releasing a small tool to explore wikipedia users contributions [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

A quick update, Dinesh moved the above tool which was hosted in Heroku to
Wikimedia Toolforge.

- *Tool Url: *https://wiki-user-contributions.toolforge.org
- *Toolforge tool page:*
https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/tools/id/wiki-user-contributions

Thanks dinesh for the development and deploying on the toolforge.

Shrini

????., 26 ??., 2020, ???????? 8:05 ?????, Shrinivasan T <
tshrinivasan@gmail.com> ????????:

Re: Releasing a small tool to explore wikipedia users contributions [ In reply to ]
Wonderful to hear toolforge worked out for you! I especially liked that you
included a prominent link to your source code repository. Best wishes!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:53 PM Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> making a web application quickly.

>> is a good place to ask any tech questions regarding wikipedia.
>>
>> Thanks to all wikisource contributors for the event and in general.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> T.Shrinivasan
>>

>> My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
>> Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil :
>> http://kaniyam.com
>>
>> Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
>> http://FreeTamilEbooks.com
>>

> --
> Regards,
> T.Shrinivasan
>

> My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
> Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com
>
> Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :

*Nicholas Skaggs*
Engineering Manager, Cloud Services
Re: Releasing a small tool to explore wikipedia users contributions [ In reply to ]
That is awesome!

Let us know if you have any issues, of you find yourself wanting to do
something but can't find how.

Cheers!