Mailing List Archive

TechCom meeting 2020-10-21
This is the weekly TechCom board review in preparation of our meeting on
Wednesday. If there are additional topics for TechCom to review, please let
us know by replying to this email. However, please keep discussion about
individual RFCs to the Phabricator tickets.

Activity since Monday 2020-10-15 on the following boards:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/techcom/
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/techcom-rfc/

Committee inbox:

- T239742 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T239742> Should npm
packages maintained by Wikimedia be scoped or unscoped?
- Still in inbox

Committee board activity:

- T263904 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T263904> Are traits part of
the stable interface?
- Daniel moved to in progress (see last weeks email thread)

New RFCs: (none)

Phase progression:

- T262946 Bump Firefox version in basic support to 3.6 or newer
- P3 -> P4: ready to go on last call

IRC meeting request: (none)

Other RFC activity:

- T119173 RFC: Discourage use of MySQL's ENUM type
- Concerns about removing existing uses, but it doesn't seem
necessary to remove them
Re: TechCom meeting 2020-10-21 [ In reply to ]
The minutes from TechCom's triage meeting on 21 October 2020.

Present: Dan A, Tim S, Timo T.
Should npm packages maintained by Wikimedia be scoped or unscoped?

-

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T239742
-

NL: Still in inbox
-

TT: Seems companies do this both ways at times. Might not need a strict
policy.
-

TS: Delegate to FSG?
-

TT: I'll ask Volker to bring it up in the next meeting.
-

Moved to Watching.

RFC: Bump Firefox version in basic support to 3.6 or newer

-

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T262946
-

Moved to Last Call.

RFC: PHP microservice for containerized shell execution

-

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260330
-

Development is going right along. The basics have been figured out.
-

Still room for input on what the public interface of the MW service
class would look like, and how e.g. an admin would write or generate the
configuration for their Shellbox instance for the specific extensions they
have (E.g. Score requires additional commands to be registered in the
service).
-

Currently in P4. We should hear from e.g. Fandom and BlueSpice with any
concerns to consider, or a confident signal that they're happy with this as
it stands.

Next week IRC office hours

No IRC discussion scheduled for next week.

You can also find our meeting minutes at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes

If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:TechCom_Radar

-- Timo