Mailing List Archive

Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists)
Hey,
Mailman, the software that powers our mailing lists, is extremely old, by
looking at https://lists.wikimedia.org/ you can guess how old it is.

I would really like to upgrade it to mailman 3 which has these benefits:
* Much better security (including but not limited to
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T181803)
* Much better UI and UX
* Much easier moderation and maintaining mailing lists
* Ability to send mail from the web
* Ability to search in archives.
* Ability to like/dislike an email
* List admins will be able to delete emails, merge threads, and much more.
* Admins won't need to store passwords for each mailing list separately,
they just login as their account everywhere.
* The current mailman stores everything as files (even mailing list
settings), mailman3 actually uses a proper database for everything meaning
proper backup and recovery, high availability and much more.

I have already put up a test setup and humbly ask you (specially list
admins) to test it (and its admin interface), if you want to become a list
admin, drop me a message. Keep in mind that we don't maintain the software
so the most I can do is to change configuration and can't handle a feature
request or solve a bug (you are more than welcome to file it against
upstream though)

Here's the test setup:
* https://lists.wmcloud.org

Here's a mailing list:
* https://lists.wmcloud.org/postorius/lists/test.lists.wmcloud.org/

Here's an archive post:
*
https://lists.wmcloud.org/hyperkitty/list/test@lists.wmcloud.org/thread/RMQPKSS4ID3WALFXAF636J2NGBVCN3UA/

Issues that I haven't figured out yet:
* This system has profile picture support but it's only gravatar which we
can't enable due to our privacy policy but when you disable it, it shows
empty squares and looks bad. Reported upstream [1] but also we can have a
gravatar proxy in production. And in the worst case scenario we can just
inject "$('.gravatar').remove();" and remove them. Feel free to chime in in
the phabricator ticket in this regard:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T256541

* Upgrade will break archive links, making it work forever is not trivial
(you need write apache rewrite rule) (You can read about it in
https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/migration.html#other-considerations)

* Mailman allows us to upgrade mailing list by mailing list, that's good
but we haven't found a way to keep the old version and the new ones in sync
(archives, etc.). Maybe we migrate a mailing list and the archives for the
old version will stop getting updated. Would that work for you? Feel free
to chime in: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T256539

* We don't know what would be the size of the database after upgrade
because these two versions are so inherently different, one idea was to
check the size of a fully public mailing list, then move the files to the
test setup, upgrade it to the new version and check how it changes, then
extrapolate the size of the final database. The discussion around the
database is happening in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T256538

If you want to help in the upgrade (like puppetzining its configuration,
etc.) just let me know and I add you to the project! It uses a stand-alone
puppetmaster so you don't need to get your puppet patches merged to see its
effects.

The main ticket about the upgrade: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T52864

[1] https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/-/issues/303#note_365162201

Hope that'll be useful for you :)
--
Amir (he/him)
Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
Thank you so much!

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
Great! It's really good and useful.

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 9 ??????, 2020 2:25:30 AM IST, Amir Sarabadani <ladsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey,
>Mailman, the software that powers our mailing lists, is extremely old,
>by
>looking at https://lists.wikimedia.org/ you can guess how old it is.
>
>I would really like to upgrade it to mailman 3 which has these
>benefits:
>* Much better security (including but not limited to
>https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T181803)
>* Much better UI and UX

Including a mobile friendly archive page! I really love this. Thanks!!

--
Sivaraam

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
Hello,
this looks great. Especially because of "mobile friendly" function.

Best regards,
Zoran Dori
Volunteer on Wikimedia Foundation's projects
E: zorandori4444@gmail.com
W: kizule.tk
I: iamkizule <https://instagram.com/iamkizule>
Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
Glad to hear this is moving forward!

Keeping archive links working, for both public and private lists,
should be a requirement. There's a lot of institutional knowledge
stored in the mailing list archives, and it's very important to keep
that around.

ACN

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
yes - those links are thrown around as if they're archival. How will
the change affect links to past messages? Will someone need to
construct a redirect farm?

- d.

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
According to the upgrade guide (
https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/migration.html#other-considerations):
"If you need your URLs for Mailman 2 archives to work, you can keep the
HTML files generated for the archives around and your web server
configuration for the archives intact (possibly with a notice to viewers
that it is now a read-only archive, see this list
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/security-sig/> for example)."

Here's an example: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/security-sig/ (with a
notice).

It means, the old archives will stay the same (and accessible/searchable
with the new interface as well) but new mails won't get added there to the
old archives. I think that's a good compromise.

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
I would agree that it would be a good solution, except for the next
bullet in the same document:
"The above mechanism won’t work for private archives since the
archives are gated with password and without a Mailman 2 list, there
is no password. You can however import them to Mailman 3."

Since keeping private lists private is also a requirement, that pretty
much means rolling our own auth system on top of Mailman 3 or creating
a bunch of HTTP redirect rules.

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
hmm, Links of archived discussions in private mailing lists are not as
important as the ones in public lists, we definitely should migrate public
mailing lists first and after that we can migrate any private mailing list
that is okay with their links being broken (and then we remove those old
archives to make it unaccessible to public). It probably means we need to
keep mailman2 around for a while.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 9:38 PM AntiCompositeNumber <

Amir (he/him)
Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
In fairness, pipermail archives were always a bit shaky - on the
occasions when an email's had to be removed from the archive
previously, it's messed up the URLs of all the other emails in that
month's archive.

But let's say it would be *nice* not to mess up the public archive
URLs if feasible :-)

- d.

Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
A sad side effect of the upgrade will probably be that listadmin[1] will
break. Does anyone know an alternative?

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/listadmin/

Am So., 9. Aug. 2020 um 23:13 Uhr schrieb David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:

> In fairness, pipermail archives were always a bit shaky - on the
> occasions when an email's had to be removed from the archive
> previously, it's messed up the URLs of all the other emails in that
> month's archive.
>
> But let's say it would be *nice* not to mess up the public archive
> URLs if feasible :-)
>

> - d.
>

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 at 21:19, Amir Sarabadani <ladsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > hmm, Links of archived discussions in private mailing lists are not as
> > important as the ones in public lists, we definitely should migrate
> public
> > mailing lists first and after that we can migrate any private mailing
> list
> > that is okay with their links being broken (and then we remove those old
> > archives to make it unaccessible to public). It probably means we need to
> > keep mailman2 around for a while.
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 9:38 PM AntiCompositeNumber <
> > anticompositenumber@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would agree that it would be a good solution, except for the next
> > > bullet in the same document:
> > > "The above mechanism won’t work for private archives since the
> > > archives are gated with password and without a Mailman 2 list, there
> > > is no password. You can however import them to Mailman 3."
> > >
> > > Since keeping private lists private is also a requirement, that pretty
> > > much means rolling our own auth system on top of Mailman 3 or creating
> > > a bunch of HTTP redirect rules.

> https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/migration.html#other-considerations
> > > ):
> the
> viewers

> > > (with a

> accessible/searchable
> > > the

> will

> keep

> zorandori4444@gmail.com>

> function.

> > --
> > Amir (he/him)

*M. F. Schönitzer*
Community Communication

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

https://spenden.wikimedia.de

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!

https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Re: Upgrading mailman (the software behind mailing lists) [ In reply to ]
I think it's because mailman3 doesn't need something like listadmin
anymore. It provides a REST API that you can use to achieve the same
functionality in a couple lines of code:
https://docs.mailman3.org/projects/mailman/en/latest/src/mailman/rest/docs/rest.html

HTH