Mailing List Archive

MySQL vs. Postgre
On 5/23/02 1:34 PM, "Jimmy Wales" <jwales@bomis.com> wrote:

> Jan.Hidders wrote:
>> It's not so much PHP that is the problem, as it is MySQL. Perhaps we should
>> considering moving to PostgreSQL which really supports UTF-8 and is a better
>> database anyway (some special pages could be implemented far more
>> efficiently there).
>
> A good opportunity for switching from MySQL to PostgreSQL is coming
> soon, with the move from our current server to a new and much more
> powerful server. I'd be happy to install PostgreSQL over there
> instead. And we'll be giving out developer accounts to several
> people, including root access where appropriate, so things are going
> to be a lot easier for the development team.

I gotta say, I'm hardly convinced that Postgre is that astoundingly better
than MySQL for our purposes. As was pointed out, Slashdot runs on MySQL, and
it's a damn fast, high-traffic, complicated site.

If you guys want to change to Postgre, go ahead, but it should be recognized
that it's a mostly arbitrary decision.

At least that's how I see it.

--tc
Re: MySQL vs. Postgre [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:11:43PM -0400, The Cunctator wrote:

> I gotta say, I'm hardly convinced that Postgre is that astoundingly better
> than MySQL for our purposes. As was pointed out, Slashdot runs on MySQL,
> and it's a damn fast, high-traffic, complicated site.

For a few special pages (recent changes and lonely pages) I needed nested
subqueries, but MySQL doesn't have those. As a consequence I had to write
some PHP code for some high volume data processing that can be done far more
efficiently by the database.

-- Jan Hidders