Mailing List Archive

New server
Good news! I'm buying Wikipedia a new and much more powerful server.

Bomis.com needs a new server in our web cluster. As it turns out,
ross.bomis.com (the current wikipedia server) is physically identical
to our existing servers in our web cluster (because I bought ross at
the same time), and is therefore ideal to include in the web cluster
without complicating my load balancing over there.

This means that the newly purchased server, which should be here in a
couple of weeks, will be set up exclusively for wikipedia. I will be
moving personal websites of mine (like jimmywales.com and
kirawales.com) and experimental websites of mine OFF this machine, but
not to the new machine.

The new machine will be setup with different root password, and no
real connection to the rest of my network. This means that I can give
developers Unix shell accounts on the machine, and even the root
password in some cases.

The new machine will be a dual Athlon with 2 gig of ram and a much
bigger SCSI harddrive than what we have now. The performance of the
machine should be a lot better than the existing single PIII with 1
gig of ram.

This will all come to pass in the next couple of weeks. This will remove
me as a key bottleneck in the development/release cycle.

--Jimbo
RE: New server [ In reply to ]
> Good news! I'm buying Wikipedia a new and much more powerful server.

See, Brion, it finally worked out - we just had to keep the script slow
enough ;)

> The new machine will be setup with different root password, and no
> real connection to the rest of my network. This means that I can give
> developers Unix shell accounts on the machine, and even the root
> password in some cases.

Cool!

> The new machine will be a dual Athlon with 2 gig of ram and a much
> bigger SCSI harddrive than what we have now. The performance of the
> machine should be a lot better than the existing single PIII with 1
> gig of ram.

[[drooling]]

Magnus