Wikipedia much better now!
It's like a miracle cure.

5:43pm up 37 days, 8:13, 1 user, load average: 0.76, 1.95, 6.84

Compare this to hovering around 100 earlier today.

I did two things -- turned on page caching, and forced
getOtherNamespaces to return an empty array.

The site feels usably fast now, and the load average is a lot lower.

--Jimbo
Re: Wikipedia much better now! [ In reply to ]
On ĵaŭ, 2002-05-09 at 17:20, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> It's like a miracle cure.
>
> 5:43pm up 37 days, 8:13, 1 user, load average: 0.76, 1.95, 6.84
>
> Compare this to hovering around 100 earlier today.
>
> I did two things -- turned on page caching, and forced
> getOtherNamespaces to return an empty array.
>
> The site feels usably fast now, and the load average is a lot lower.

Huzzah, thanks!

Also, could you update special_watchlist.php (temporary work-around for
amazingly performance-killing database abuse that makes the watchlist
completely unusable if you've any serious number of items in it),
wikiTextEn.php (language link bugs), and special_recentchangeslayout.php
(cosmetic bug related to the watchlist) from CVS?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)