Mailing List Archive

Slow response due to hit tracking?
[Neil wrote regarding MySQL performance:]

> In the 10% write case, however, Postgres kept going beyond the
> client-concurrency load where MySQL falls over.

Personally, I suspect the hit-tracking feature is responsible for much of
the slowdown. Currently *every* normal page load causes a write to update the
number of accesses ("This page has been accessed 281 times.")

I recommend making the hit-tracking feature optional in the code, then
turning it off for a few days.

In the long run, this kind of per-page tracking could be done more
efficiently using the webserver's logs, perhaps updating the access count once
per day using a separate script.

--Cliff