and

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705-res.php3

for the raw results.

For read performance, they are comparable, with mySQL performing about
50% better.

In the 10% write case, however, Postgres kept going beyond the
client-concurrency load where MySQL falls over.

-- Neil
Re: "Real-world" comparison of MySQL with PostgreSQL [ In reply to ]
On Monday 29 April 2002 15:11, Neil Harris wrote:
> For read performance, they are comparable, with mySQL performing about
> 50% better.
>
> In the 10% write case, however, Postgres kept going beyond the
> client-concurrency load where MySQL falls over.

I suspect that's the problem then. Sometimes every page comes up fast (except
a few specials like "find all pages such that no pages link to them"), then
suddenly, for many minutes, I get nothing but timeouts. I suspect that lots
of people are writing, which makes MySQL fall over. Particularly annoying
when I'm trying to edit an article and I get repeated timeouts - then find
that one of them went through and I get an edit conflict.

phma