Mailing List Archive

umlauts for everybody
Hello everybody!

At the German Wikipedia someone asked how to make umlauts with his
non-German keybord - it seems we need some kind of x-system like the
Esperanto-WP already has. But with small changes:
*Of cause we can't use the x-system. But there seems to be a standard:
In LaTeX you can use \"a for ä (same for ö and ü, don't know for ß). If
nobody has a better idea I think we should use this, too. But maybe
someone really wants to write \"a (is this possible?), so I think a
checkbox where the writer can choose the \"a-system would be good (above
the article and in the user settings).
*The \"a should be converted to ä in the database/editbox for better
readability

Does someone have better solution for this problem? I think the other
Wikipedias with umlauts could use this, too.

Bye,
Kurt