Mailing List Archive

Re: [Intlwiki-l] PHP script internationalization issues
On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 03:11:02PM +0000, Joao M?rio Miranda wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > 3) There are problems with interwiki links. If Polish article title contain
> > non-ascii characters, I can't easily link it using [[pl:Name]].
>
> I have the same problem with the portuguese wkipedia. I can't
> link to [[pt:portugu?s]].

You can link by %-escapes (which you can copy from URL).
This method sucks but is the only way until we all adopt UTF-8.

I strongly recommend setting all non-English Wikipedias to UTF-8
on transition to PHP script, regardless of whatever encoding is
currently most popular for your languages.

I also think that English Wikipedia should move to UTF-8.