Mailing List Archive

Transition of Polish Wikipeda to PHP
I tried this script and I have a few things to say.

First, I seriously propose using UTF-8 instead of Latin-2 for Polish Wikipedia.
Browsers shouldn't have any problems with it. At least Mozilla don't have any.
And it will be more "standard", so for example it will be possible to cut&paste kanjis
into it (I tried and it works, that's main reason for this proposal).

On the other hand I don't know how would people without right
fonts react to kanjis on text box.

I think I see the right way.

Simpler way:
markup input ::= what user sends after clicking 'submit'
markup output ::= what user get after clicking 'edit this page'

On wiki markup output:
if (user_option[unicode_fonts] != "yes_i_have_all_fonts_installed")
s/(unicode_char)/numeric[$1]/;
On wiki markup input (options-independent, some people may have only fonts but no input installed):
s/(numeric)/unicode_char[$1]/;

Even better way:

On wiki markup output:
if (user_option[unicode_fonts] != "yes_i_have_all_fonts_installed")
s/(unicode_char)/special_entity[$1]/;
On wiki markup input (options-independent, some people may have only fonts but no input installed):
s/(special_entity)/unicode_char[$1]/;

It would also make sense to generate kanjis pngs instead of fonts if
(user_option[unicode_fonts] != "yes_i_have_all_fonts_installed"),
but that's a issue for future.

It might also make some sense to split user_option[unicode_fonts] into more than one option,
like japanese, chinese, arabic, cyrilic, hebrew, etc.

What do you think about this ?

----

Second, someone should create wikiTextPl.php ;)
There is a bit of code there, but most of translations can be probably taken
from Rozeta UseMod script.