Mailing List Archive

IP blocking (fwd)
Re the e-mail below: I just noticed that the following line appears in
the Recent Changes log:

(diff) Wikipedia:Blocked IPs; 22:24 (1 change) . . . Larry_Sanger M [IP
was blocked by Larry_Sanger]

I'd rather not have the log entry there. This represents a significant
change in the functionality of the software; frankly, this doesn't need to
be made so public. I don't think it should be shouted from the rooftops
that I've blocked an IP. If someone wants to know what IPs I've blocked,
that's fair enough--I don't want it *hidden* from anyone--they could visit
a page to find that out. I just don't want the eedjits constantly getting
into a dither about who I'm blocking and why. And they will be, if we log
this. This hasn't been a problem so far; there's no reason for it to be
made one.

Also, please notice that I haven't got a clue as to how the above
happened. I simply went to [[special:blockIP]] (WITHOUT any
"&target=..."), it seems, and the above log entry was created.

Now, when I go to [[Wikipedia:Blocked IPs]], I see the following entry:

(1014704640) : IP was blocked by Larry_Sanger

Did I just block someone's IP address unwittingly??? I hope not. Can you
please check? (I don't know how.)

--Larry