Mailing List Archive

XKCD: Extended Mind
http://xkcd.org/903/
-Peachey

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On May 25, 2011, at 9:35 AM, K. Peachey wrote:

> http://xkcd.org/903/
> -Peachey

that error is fake! 10.0.0.242 is internal services DNS server and is not used to serve en.wikipedia.org - dberror log does not have a single instance of it!
10.0.6.42 on the other hand....

the incident yesterday was network card drivers / linux / network cards being stupid to interface going down/up - we saw some isolated issues similar to that in the past, unfortunately that knocked out all databases and they all needed serial console intervention.

Domas
Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On 25/05/11 17:05, Domas Mituzas wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 9:35 AM, K. Peachey wrote:
>
>> http://xkcd.org/903/ -Peachey
>
> that error is fake! 10.0.0.242 is internal services DNS server and
> is not used to serve en.wikipedia.org - dberror log does not have a
> single instance of it! 10.0.6.42 on the other hand....

I would have thought the fact that it was hand drawn would have given
it away.

-- Tim Starling

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]

> I would have thought the fact that it was hand drawn would have given
> it away.

well, it is valid DB IP, so some random extension pulling data from db9 could be likely.
Worth checking anyway ;-)

Domas
Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On 25 May 2011 08:35, K. Peachey <p858snake@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://xkcd.org/903/

> Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not
> in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".

This is also true. I came from Groom Range to Philosophy.

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Svip <svippy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 May 2011 08:35, K. Peachey <p858snake@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://xkcd.org/903/
>
>> Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not
>> in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".
>
> This is also true.  I came from Groom Range to Philosophy.

No, it's not. The exceptions may be rare, but they do exist. My third
attempt was "Masquerade (theatre group)", which quicklyl ended up in a
loop of "Renaming of cities in India" and "Mumbai". "Philosophy"
itself has "Reason" and "Rationality" as the other members of its
loop.

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 09:24, Tim Starling <tstarling@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 25/05/11 17:05, Domas Mituzas wrote:
>> On May 25, 2011, at 9:35 AM, K. Peachey wrote:
>>
>>> http://xkcd.org/903/ -Peachey
>>
>> that error is fake! 10.0.0.242 is internal services DNS server and
>> is not used to serve en.wikipedia.org - dberror log does not have a
>> single instance of it! 10.0.6.42 on the other hand....
>
> I would have thought the fact that it was hand drawn would have given
> it away.

But in this particular case hand drawn doesn't mean facts can slip. At
least these drawings are usually extremely precise. (You can see which
pulldowns he usually keep open. :-))

I second Domas to check because there may be a super secret conspiracy
and the drawing may be correct. ;-)
--
 byte-byte,
    grin

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]

> I second Domas to check because there may be a super secret conspiracy
> and the drawing may be correct. ;-)

well, $wgContributionTrackingDBserver = 'db9.pmtpa.wmnet'; - though I don't see anything on profiling. *sigh*

Domas

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Svip <svippy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 May 2011 08:35, K. Peachey <p858snake@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://xkcd.org/903/
>>
>>> Wikipedia trivia: if you take any article, click on the first link in the article text not
>>> in parentheses or italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".
>>
>> This is also true.  I came from Groom Range to Philosophy.
>
> No, it's not. The exceptions may be rare, but they do exist. My third
> attempt was "Masquerade (theatre group)", which quicklyl ended up in a
> loop of "Renaming of cities in India" and "Mumbai".

{{sofixit}}

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
> > On May 25, 2011, at 9:35 AM, K. Peachey wrote:
> >> http://xkcd.org/903/ -Peachey
> >
> > that error is fake! 10.0.0.242 is internal services DNS server and
> > is not used to serve en.wikipedia.org - dberror log does not have a
> > single instance of it! 10.0.6.42 on the other hand....
>
> I would have thought the fact that it was hand drawn would have given
> it away.

Well, in fact, Randall's pretty good about the details (vis 2000 people
showing up in a park in Cambridge just because he put an undesignated
time and lat/lon in a strip)...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
> Well, in fact, Randall's pretty good about the details (vis 2000 people
> showing up in a park in Cambridge just because he put an undesignated
> time and lat/lon in a strip)...

Randall: " I drew it based on an older error message where the IP was 10.0.0.243. I changed it to 242 (a) because I try not to get too specific with those things, and didn't want people poking the actual machine at .243 (if it was still there) -- I actually considered putting .276 and seeing how many poeple noticed, but figured they'd just think I made a dumb mistake. and (b) as part of this ancient inside joke involving the number 242 ... "

Funny though, it caused way more confusion with .242, as we have random stuff pointing at it ;-)
.243 was enwiki database box until July 2008;-)

Domas
Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 17:16, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com>

Thanks for clearing that up. Nice work.

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
http://ryanelmquist.com/cgi-bin/xkcdwiki

Re: XKCD: Extended Mind [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 17:38, Leo Koppelkamm <diebuche@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://ryanelmquist.com/cgi-bin/xkcdwiki

Nice way to see that first sentences eventually lead to a general
quantity or property which links to [[property (phylosophy)]] which
links to Philosophy itself. So far I didn't see a way which wasn't
following 'property'.