Mailing List Archive

Wikimania - Important Reminders + Request for Volunteers
Dear Community Members,

Wikimania 2021 is around the corner, kickstarting with Hackathon this
Friday, August 13, and we just can’t wait. We would like to share some
reminders and important updates with you.

Registration

We are nearing 2500 registrants already! That’s bigger than any in-person
Wikimania. We want to ensure everyone’s safety and as such, will be closing
registration on Thursday, August 12 @ 23:59 UTC. If you haven’t done so
already, please register now
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Registration>. Registering will
allow you to receive updates from the organizers, immerse in the virtual
platform, and most importantly, interact with other participants and host
sessions.

Attendee Information

And speaking of registering, we hope to share participant information on
Monday, including links to Remo
<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2021/08/03/virtual-wikimania-2021-finding-your-way-around/>,
our virtual platform space, and other important information to prepare you
for Wikimania 2021.

Volunteers

We are still looking for volunteers
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Volunteer> for various roles. If
you are interested, sign up to help. There are different roles and your
help is greatly appreciated.

Digital Resources

As with every Wikimania, and even more so a virtual one, we have
awesome digital
assets <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Resources> to share with
you so you can use and share on yourself. Want to print a t-shirt for you
and your friends? Need social media posts or cool backgrounds, we got you
covered.

Hackathon

We will be kickstarting Wikimania 2021 with an all-day Hackathon
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Hackathon>! Please make sure to
register your session on the Hackathon schedule and join us for a day full
of collaborative work around the clock and around the world!

Community Village + Unconference

After the Hackathon, we have 4 full days of programming starting at
different times each day. As with every Wikimania, we will also have a
Community
Village <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Community_Village>.
There are 140 tables available where you can share information for people
to see, and you don’t even have to be there. Finally, we will also be
hosting an Unconference space where any attendee can host a session and
gather with up to 20 other attendees. Reserve your Unconference space now
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2021:Unconference>.

Best Wishes,
Winnie Kabintie (User:Ms_Kabintie
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ms_Kabintie>), on behalf of the
Wikimania 2021 Core Organizing Team.
Re: Wikimania - Important Reminders + Request for Volunteers [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the update.

To Winnie and 2021 organizers - please put wikimania-l in the "to" field
rather than the "bcc" field in future announcements, because public mailing
lists don't like being bcc'd!

--Deryck