Mailing List Archive

Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania
*Dear Wikimedians,*

We are a strong, large, and diverse communities that is constantly growing.
Nevertheless, over the years some of us pass away and leave us. Wikimania –
as our global gathering – is an opportunity to honour them and remember
them.

For that reason, as this year's Wikimania, I have create a "Mourning
corner" where you can take your time and mourn those that have passed away.
The corner is outside directly left of the main entrance of the Aula Magna
building. It is a bench close to a tree, the tree is decorated with white
origami cranes.

On the Wikimania map, the bench is marked as "H" (also called *Sirleaf
Bench*). I've uploaded a map indicating it
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_2019_map_with_mourning_corner.png>
.[1]

If you have any questions regarding the Mourning corner, please let me know.

Best regards
Cornelius

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_2019_map_with_mourning_corner.png

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Internationale Beziehungen | International Relations

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207
Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Thank you for setting up this place.
I miss Ray Saintonge and Aaron Schwarz.

—Takashi

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Hi Takashi,

as previously written, I collected names of Wikipedians/Wikimedians who
have passed away since last Wikimania (August 2018).

Best regards
Cornelius

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Dear Cornelius,

I've missed the opportunity to react on this initiative until now.

I would like to express my gratitude for your idea remembering our
community members who passed away. I like the idea and I liked how it was
implemented. Thank you for that!
(I took pictures about the "Mourning corner", and I will upload them on
Commons later.)

Best wishes,
Samat

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
I agree about the Mourning Corner. This was one of the more peaceful and reflective experiences of the conference, and I was deeply moved by it.

While I do not believe I knew any of the people mentioned by name, seeing we are part of a community that extends past our time in this place is a fitting symbol of how our work holds impact beyond our direct edits.

-----

With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,

Jeffrey
User:FULBERT
FULBERT@fulbert.org

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
I totally agree, that this was one of the ideas this Wikimania that I appreciated the most. I would like to suggest a page on the wiki as well, perhaps 2019:Mourning corner, where maybe we could add the names, perhaps photos of the place and also a have place for users to leave a comment.

Warm regards,

Jan

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
There is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 14:36, Jan Ainali <jan@ainali.com> wrote:

> I totally agree, that this was one of the ideas this Wikimania that I
> appreciated the most. I would like to suggest a page on the wiki as well,
> perhaps 2019:Mourning corner, where maybe we could add the names, perhaps
> photos of the place and also a have place for users to leave a comment.
>
> Warm regards,
> Jan
>
> 21 augusti 2019 13:02:11 +02:00, skrev FULBERT <fulbert@fulbert.org>:
>
> I agree about the Mourning Corner. This was one of the more peaceful and
> reflective experiences of the conference, and I was deeply moved by it.
>
> While I do not believe I knew any of the people mentioned by name, seeing
> we are part of a community that extends past our time in this place is a
> fitting symbol of how our work holds impact beyond our direct edits.
>
> -----
>
> With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,
>
> Jeffrey
>
> User:FULBERT
> FULBERT@fulbert.org
>

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 5:26 AM, Samat <samat78@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Cornelius,
>
> I've missed the opportunity to react on this initiative until now.
>
> I would like to express my gratitude for your idea remembering our
> community members who passed away. I like the idea and I liked how it was
> implemented. Thank you for that!
> (I took pictures about the "Mourning corner", and I will upload them on
> Commons later.)
>
> Best wishes,
> Samat
>

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 10:54, Cornelius Kibelka <
> cornelius.kibelka@wikimedia.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> We are a strong, large, and diverse communities that is constantly
> growing. Nevertheless, over the years some of us pass away and leave us.
> Wikimania – as our global gathering – is an opportunity to honour them and
> remember them.
>
> For that reason, as this year's Wikimania, I have create a "Mourning
> corner" where you can take your time and mourn those that have passed away.
> The corner is outside directly left of the main entrance of the Aula Magna
> building. It is a bench close to a tree, the tree is decorated with white
> origami cranes.
>
> On the Wikimania map, the bench is marked as "H" (also called *Sirleaf
> Bench*). I've uploaded a map indicating it
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_2019_map_with_mourning_corner.png>
> .[1]
>
> If you have any questions regarding the Mourning corner, please let me
> know.
>
> Best regards
> Cornelius
>
> [1]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_2019_map_with_mourning_corner.png

GN.
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017. Order
here
<https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
.
Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
And many more languages/projects have pages, listed at
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4655446

Nick "Quiddity" Wilson (he/him)
Community Engagement - Documentation
Wikimedia Foundation
Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Thank you all for your comments – I really appreciate them, especially as
it was something we did for the first time.

Thank you, Jan, for your suggestion. I've created a page on the Wikimania
wiki, where I've added some details around it:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Mourning_corner

Best regards
Cornelius

Re: Remembering Wikimedians // Mourning corner at Wikimania [ In reply to ]
Thanks very much for the initiative, Cornelius. I would like to encourage
those who are comfortable doing so and who know of Wikimedians to have
passed on to report the passages on *The Signpost*'s Newsroom talk page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/Newsroom>
even if the contributors did not contribute to English Wikipedia, and/or on
Wikimedia-l, in addition to reporting the passages on local pages such as
those listed on https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4655446. (Thank you for the
link, Quiddity.)

Pine

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Cornelius Kibelka <