Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Documentary film crew at Wikimania
forwarding for Samantha & Greg.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Samantha Lien <slien@wikimedia.org>
To: wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Cc: Gregory Varnum <gvarnum@wikimedia.org>
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:32:22 +0200
Subject: Documentary film crew at Wikimania

Hello everyone,

The Wikimedia Foundation Communications department has been in touch with a
production crew that is working on a documentary about Wikipedia. They are
planning to film at Wikimania this year in interviews with volunteers (you
may seem them around today outside!) as well as some select sessions of the
conference. The crew will be joined by a member of WMF Comms or our PR
agency partner. We wanted to share some information with you all about the
production crew and how they will be engaging at Wikimania.

We are working with the crew and space leaders to film some sessions of the
conference, and some of the crew will walk around to speak with different
volunteers for initial, non-filmed conversations. The crew is also aware of
the filming and photography policy and that those individuals wearing
colored lanyards wish not to be filmed or photographed. If anyone can be
seen directly in the shot, the crew will ask their permission before
filming.

For a bit about the documentary - this will be a documentary film about the
people and movement behind Wikipedia - why people get involved in the
movement, what makes them stay, and specific opportunities and challenges
ahead. They are hoping to release the film in time for Wikipedia’s 20th
anniversary. They are still in the very early stages of production.

We think this is an exciting opportunity and look forward to working
closely with the filmmaker as the documentary develops.

If you have questions or concerns about being filmed or how the crew will
be interacting at Wikimania, please reach out to myself and Greg Varnum
(cc’ed from WMF Comms).

Thank you,

Sam

Samantha Lien