Mailing List Archive

WikiMania registration & fraudulent credit card use
Hello, Wiki folks,

This is an unpleasant message to have to send. But, immediately after
registering for WikiMania and booking a hotel room this week, the credit
card I was using was fraudulently used for about a dozen purchases on
Amazon. Small stuff really, each between $10 and $50. This was a credit
card that had not been used before and that I was only using for purchases
regarding this trip (conference registration, hotel and airplane ticket). I
have never had this happen to me before with a credit card.

So, either someone associated with the Wikimania registration provider or
with the hotel had access to my credit card data. I am also contacting the
hotel where the registration was made in case the information was taken
from that site. I should say that it isn't the Stockholm hotel associated
with this conference but another one in a different city.

The credit card company refunded the cost for all of these purchases so I'm
not out any money. And I am really looking forward to this trip! But I just
wanted to alert WMF and encourage other conference goers to check their
credit card statements in case there are any issues with the registration
provider.

Thanks! And I look forward to seeing you all next month in Stockholm!

Liz