Mailing List Archive

New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN
Hi all,

The Wikimania organizing team is now happy to announce the *Program Design*
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design> of Wikimania
2019!

We believe that this year’s conference theme
<https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Theme> requires a format
that is *future-oriented,
collaborative, active, and focused on practical problem-solving. *The
program will therefore consist of a series of parallel *spaces* (or
tracks), lead by *leaders,* and through practical training, learning,
idea-sharing and cross-cultural collaboration focusing on different *topic
areas*.

The call for proposals for these *Leaders*, and what they would like to do
with those *Spaces*, is NOW OPEN. We invite you to visit the Program Design
page <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design> on the
Wikimania Wiki to read more.

Best,
*Eric Luth*
Conference Manager, Wikimedia Sverige
eric.luth@wikimedia.se
+46 (0) 765 55 50 95

Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se
Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
Wow! This is a great idea, and I hope it will change our outlook on the
Wikimedia movement and the potential it carries for change at a much
greater level than building and sharing knowledge... I have been trying to
bring attention to what participation in the movement can do for
disadvantaged individuals practically on my own in my community, and now
reading this... and the connection with the SDGs... it's more than exciting
:)

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Best,
Mina

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
It does sound like an interesting approach I look forward to it being a
successful format, will there time at the end of the day for panel sessions
to further explore the days discussions. Like Mina I too have been working
with disadvantaged and oppressed communities to bring their knowledge,
language, and culture into the Wiki world.

It'll be an interesting challenge for the program committee to judge the
where a talk submission fits, not just in time but also in content.

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 05:40, Mina Theofilatou <saintfevrier@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow! This is a great idea, and I hope it will change our outlook on the
> Wikimedia movement and the potential it carries for change at a much
> greater level than building and sharing knowledge... I have been trying to
> bring attention to what participation in the movement can do for
> disadvantaged individuals practically on my own in my community, and now
> reading this... and the connection with the SDGs... it's more than exciting
> :)
>
> Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
>
> Best,
> Mina

> <#m_5267767809410302917_m_-8413215816840512418_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 8:28 PM Eric Luth <eric.luth@wikimedia.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The Wikimania organizing team is now happy to announce the *Program
>> Design* <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design> of
>> Wikimania 2019!
>>
>> We believe that this year’s conference theme
>> <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Theme> requires a format that
>> is *future-oriented, collaborative, active, and focused on practical
>> problem-solving. *The program will therefore consist of a series of
>> parallel *spaces* (or tracks), lead by *leaders,* and through practical
>> training, learning, idea-sharing and cross-cultural collaboration focusing
>> on different *topic areas*.
>>
>> The call for proposals for these *Leaders*, and what they would like to
>> do with those *Spaces*, is NOW OPEN. We invite you to visit the Program
>> Design page <https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design> on
>> the Wikimania Wiki to read more.
>>
>> Best,
>> *Eric Luth*
>> Conference Manager, Wikimedia Sverige
>> eric.luth@wikimedia.se
>> +46 (0) 765 55 50 95
>>
>> Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
>> Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se

GN.
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017. Order
here
<https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
.
Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
Bumping this thread...

Have you ever wanted to curate a room at Wikimania for a day?
With one week to go in the call for people to lead a "Space" during the
conference, we have so far received submissions on these topic areas:

Data Science
Languages
Diversity
Health
Education
Environmental Sustainability
Transcription

You can read brief public summaries of these submissions here:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design#Submitted_proposals_for_Spaces

If you think something's missing, and would like to add to those which are
already listed, Go to that page and fill out the form to propose your topic!

- Liam / Wittylama (program chair)

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
Dear Sir,
I thank you for your efforts. Concerning the health track, we are currently doing several works about the use of Wikidata in medicine. I already made proposals about this to Wikimania in the last two years. I ask if the efforts to ameliorate the medical coverage and applications of Wikidata can be taken into consideration in the health track.
Yours Sincerely,
Houcemeddine Turki (he/him)
Medical Student, Faculty of Medicine of Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Undergraduate Researcher, UR12SP36
GLAM and Education Coordinator, Wikimedia TN User Group
Member, WikiResearch Tunisia
Member, Wiki Project Med
Member, WikiIndaba Steering Committee
Member, Wikimedia and Library User Group Steering Committee
Co-Founder, WikiLingua Maghreb
Founder, TunSci
____________________
+21629499418

Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se<http://blimedlem.wikimedia.se/>
Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
Dear Houcemeddine,

WikiProject Medicine User Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Project_Med> has offered the space on
Medicine and Health.
Should our offer be accepted, we will be looking for proposals on health
and Wikidata as well.
Please be in touch with us. If you are not a member yet, please join us.
You are also welcome to join the Facebook group we have,
where we will update when submissions to our "space" are open.

Best,
Shani.

*Shani Evenstein Sigalov*
* Lecturer, Tel Aviv University.
* EdTech Innovation Strategist, NY/American Medical Program, Sackler School
of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
* PhD Candidate, School of Education, Tel Aviv University.
* OER & Emerging Technologies Coordinator, UNESCO Chair
<https://education.tau.ac.il/node/3495> on Technology, Internationalization
and Education, School of Education, Tel Aviv University
<https://education.tau.ac.il/node/3495>.
* Chairperson, WikiProject Medicine Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Project_Med>.
* Chairperson, Wikipedia & Education User Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_%26_Education_User_Group>.
* Chairperson, The Hebrew Literature Digitization Society
<http://www.israelgives.org/amuta/580428621>.
* Chief Editor, Project Ben-Yehuda <http://bybe.benyehuda.org>.
+972-525640648

Re: New Wikimania program design announced: call for proposals OPEN [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

As a short reminder: today (22 March) is the last day to propose a space
for Wikimania 2019. More information here:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Program_design

The program committee chair, Liam Wyatt, has also recorded a short video
explaining the changed format of the program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUo3CqpEcw

Hope to see you in Stockholm in August!