Mailing List Archive

Re: Friendly Space Policy (was: Sad news) [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

policies, as I think we are looking at them the wrong way.
It's far from complete but just a few ideas.

TL:DR: Safe space policies are important,
but
being both less defensive, and less judgemental
about infractions,
is good
, and the only way we learn.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Battleofalma/What_did_I_do_wrong

Thanks

On 15 August 2018 at 04:39, Romaine Wiki <romaine.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the world we have a big problem of violence against women, but also
> towards to the LGBT+ community and I think these problems are a serious
> problem we all can recognise. To create clarity we have a Friendly Space
> Policy what clearly defines what is unacceptable, something that we all can
> recognise.
>

> But what should happen when somebody feels uncomfortable, while there is
> no violation of the Friendly Space Policy?
>
> And in addition, if that somebody does not indicate to feel uncomfortable,
> so the other person has no way to know someone is uncomfortable. And thus
> can't fix/help to remove the uncomfortable part of the situation.
>

> If then actions are taken towards the person who apparently created an
> uncomfortable feeling without knowing that, who also got no indication as
> such to fix, then this raises to me a lot of questions.
> What then happens is that the Trust and Safety team creates for that
> person an unsafe environment.
> And not just for this person, but to anyone who has interaction with
> another person.
>
> And the more interactions you have with people, the higher is the risk
> that there is someone feeling uncomfortable.
> Especially those people, maybe you have seen them, that walk around to
> help others, answer questions, etc, (there are various of them at
> Wikimania), especially those people are at high risk.
>
> If *then* the Trust and Safety team is taking action, something goes
> wrong, then an event is no longer safe.
>

> > What we can do as a community is debate *principles*, i.e. the policy
> itself.
>
> I think it is not the policy that is the actual subject for debate, but it
> is about how the policy is used, or otherwise the way how we deal as
> movement with this kind of situations.
> What are the general principles according how the trust and Safety team
> acts. Those can be open and should not be a black box.
>
> A second thing (or maybe the same) that is something we can talk about is
> what do we do as movement when somebody feels uncomfortable (as described)?
> How can we help this person with this feeling to be comfortable again?
>

> Romaine

>> On 29 July 2018 at 18:27, Chris Keating <chriskeatingwiki@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Lots of opinions from people going "well this person didn't harass
>> > me" or "I don't know the specifics but maybe it's just cultural
>> > differences"
>>
>> I'm one of the people who commented, early on, on that original
>> thread; and I don't believe that describes my post.
>>
>> I did note that there was prima face evidence that a community member
>> who had a disability (my word for it; not theirs) appeared to have
>> been discriminated against, at least in part, due to the effects of
>> that disability. I would expect or "safe space" policy to ensure that
>> this did not happen.

> [...]

*Stuart Prior*
*Project Coordinator*
*Wikimedia UK*
+44 20 372 0769
+44 7879 015 385 (text me otherwise I might screen the call)

Wikimedia UK is the national chapter for the global Wikimedia open
knowledge movement. We rely on donations from individuals to support our
work to make knowledge open for all. Have you considered supporting
Wikimedia? https://donate.wikimedia.org.uk

Office Ground Floor, Europoint, 5 - 11 Lavington Street, London SE1 0NZ
<https://maps.google.com/?q=5+-+11+Lavington+Street,+London+SE1+0NZ&entry=gmail&source=g>
.

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). *Wikimedia UK is an independent
non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility
for its contents.*

1 2 3  View All