Mailing List Archive

thank you for Wikimania
All,
A huge thanks to the Wikimedia South Africa team + the WMF logistics &
travel team + all the volunteers from around the world on the program
committee and assisting in other capacities + all of the enthusiastic
attendees - for making this a wonderful Wikimania.

We got to experience the beautiful city of Cape Town and surrounds, which
was for many attendees our first time in South Africa (or anywhere in
Africa). We met new friends and people in the movement doing amazing work
on the continent & beyond. We talked about editing the projects, about
movement strategy, about next steps. We had a fun dance party... and I know
that I, and many others, are newly inspired to work with the people I met
to improve and strengthen our projects in and about Africa and the African
diaspora.

Thanks again to the organizers (especially to Douglas Scott for hosting us
& running a week-long Wikimania and THEN leading (amazing) walking tours
for two days, to Liam Wyatt for running program logistics and getting
everything organized so that we could have a program, and to Ellie Young &
her WMF team for running things smoothly behind the scenes) -- and to
everyone who participated for making this such a great time. I encourage
everyone, whether you attended or not, to watch some talks, get inspired to
host local events and connect with the Wikimedians who presented their
projects and initiatives, and edit about South Africa!

greetings and wikilove from my last (alas) day in Capetown,
Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *