Mailing List Archive

Kids to SA - birth certificates
FYI,

For those traveling with kids to Wikimania in Cape Town – best to bring a
copy of their birth certificates with you. Lots of airlines are checking
and making it a requirement before flying into S.A.

I flew from Nairobi to Jo’burg and they did indeed check. Twice. It seems
to be airline dependent, as the carrier is the one fined if they transport
kids who don’t have a birth certificate.

http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/statements-speeches/621-advisory-new-requirements-for-children-travelling-through-south-african-ports-of-entry-effective-1-june-2015

We were warned by a friend who lives in South Africa about this
requirement. We brought copies of the certificate just in case. They were
needed.

-Andrew