Mailing List Archive

Wikidata booth at Wikimania 2018
Hello all,
*(sorry for crost-posting)*

If you're into Wikidata and attending Wikimania 2018 in Cape Town, you'll
probably be interested in the Wikidata booth!

Located in the core of the conference venue[0], this table will be
dedicated to the Wikidata community, and an information point for anyone
wanting to learn more about Wikidata.

This booth being community-driven, we need help from everyone to take care
of this space, make it friendly and animated, and engage with the
participants!
To take a shift, you don't need to know everything about Wikidata, you
should mostly be able to answer simple questions, be friendly with people,
and redirect them to volunteers or employees if necessary.

If you're willing to take a shift, or organize something special with the
other community members, please register on this page:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wikimania_2018#Wikidata_community_booth
If you have any question or idea, feel free to contact me.

Cheers, Léa

[0] more details about the exact location to come

--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
Re: Wikidata booth at Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
The only thing I have done on Wikidata is to translate labels and
descriptions... but I've done A LOT of it. I've been using it lately in the
context of a MOOC delivered in English (I translate Neuroscience items into
Greek). It's a value-adding process that works at three levels: enriching
Wikidata (of course), consolidating the term in another language
(especially useful for bilinguals such as myself), building a knowledge
"repository" in scientific fields that are not always "popular" or easy
(especially useful for languages that are lagging way behind in the
Wikimedia projects, such as Greek). I would be happy to contribute if you
find that my experience may be useful or inspiring for newcomers... one
thing for sure is that it's probably the easiest way to break into Wikidata
:) (I will be talking about this in the Wikiproject Med session on
Saturday).

Best,
Mina

Re: Wikidata booth at Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Translating labels and descriptions is great and very useful!
The booth is open to all people who edit or use Wikidata. Feel free to sign
up in the table :)

Re: Wikidata booth at Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Lea! Will do, next week when I take a good look at which sessions I
want to attend and which I can spare.

Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimania... at the Wikidata booth :)