needs more local knowledge. Please help to improve the page if you can

For instance, South Africa uses both "Europlug" and "type D" power
sockets - but which is most prevalent at the city's hotels, and the
conference venue?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Fixed link:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikimania_2018_Cape_Town_Guidebook

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> Wikivoyage:
>
> https://en.wikivoyge.org/wiki/Wikimania_2018_Cape_Town_Guidebook
>
> has a page with advice for Wikimania attendees. It's a good start, but
> needs more local knowledge. Please help to improve the page if you can
>
> For instance, South Africa uses both "Europlug" and "type D" power
> sockets - but which is most prevalent at the city's hotels, and the
> conference venue?
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation
Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Updated, let me know if more information is needed.

Cheers, Peter

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Image removed by sender.

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:

"How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
bus, or at the airport?"

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are
listed.

See:

https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_transportation

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:
>
> "How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
> Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
> not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
> bus, or at the airport?"
>

> On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <peter.southwood@telkomsa.net>
> wrote:
> > Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
> >
> > Cheers, Peter

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
eyoung@wikimedia.org
c. 510 701 8649
Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Are the "Wow Capetown Travel and Tours” prices correct? They seem really expensive (e.g., US$45 is around 600ZAR, compared to 400ZAR for an Uber in both directions without sharing - the US$80/day tours seem extremely expensive!).

BTW, I’ve put some currency conversion estimates at:
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel/Currency
and have created the template at:
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Currency
that might be useful to add to the info pages.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
?I updated the conference wiki, but to answer some of your questions:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Michael Peel <email@mikepeel.net> wrote:

> Are the "Wow Capetown Travel and Tours” prices correct? They seem really
> expensive (e.g., US$45 is around 600ZAR, compared to 400ZAR for an Uber in
> both directions without sharing

?Yes they are a bit more expensive but they offer a “Meet & Greet” service
with staff at the airport, ready to welcome each person. This may might be
a good, safe option for first-time visitors to be welcomed and escorted to
their transportation. Clients are asked to provide the time, date, and
flight number of both their arriving and departing flights.?

> - the US$80/day tours seem extremely expensive!).

?I?
n terms of the pricing……
? We looked at several other companies for group tour options e.g.,

Ilios Travel – R1350 per person about $104
?USD

African Eagle – R1300 per person about $100
?USD

?Wow's
price is R1040 ($80
?USD?
)
?also
includes entrance fees of $23usd per person.

?Ellie?

?

> BTW, I’ve put some currency conversion estimates at:
> https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mike_Peel/Currency
> and have created the template at:
> https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Currency
> that might be useful to add to the info pages.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 8 Jul 2018, at 18:22, Ellie Young <eyoung@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> There are several options, and yes that is a bus shuttle and the costs are
> listed.
>
> See:
>
> https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_transportation
>
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> As I have just posted on the page's talk-page:
>>
>> "How do we get to the city centre/ event venue from the airport? The
>> Cape Town page says to use MyCiTi - that's a bus, I think, but it's
>> not clear. What does it cost? Is exact change needed? Do we pay on the
>> bus, or at the airport?"
>>

>> On 30 June 2018 at 09:19, Peter Southwood <peter.southwood@telkomsa.net>
>> wrote:
>> > Updated, let me know if more information is needed.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Peter

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
eyoung@wikimedia.org
c. 510 701 8649
Re: Wikivoyage page for Wikimania 2018 [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

There will also be information aviable from Cape Town Tourism for people
who want to self travel or check out other options in Cape Town. There
really is a lot of choice at many different price points but it will be
easier to access that information in Cape Town. The event venue is also
right across the road from the Cape Town tourism offices and we will even
be hosting our offical edit-a-thon from there so accessing this info will
be very easy.

Regards,

Douglas.