Mailing List Archive

Wikimania 2018 in Cape Town
*Hello all,We wanted to share the latest news on Wikimania with you.We are
very excited to be hosted by Cape Town for Wikimania 2018 in July. As you
may know, Cape Town has been experiencing a drought for some time; the
Foundation and Wikimania organizers have been carefully monitoring the
situation. We have looked at a range of options and will continually assess
the situation to ensure that we both support the local community and manage
our ability to host an outstanding event. We have created a page on the
Wikimania wiki to track developments.[1] “Day Zero”—the day city water was
meant to run out—was pushed back by several months to reflect the
effectiveness of the ongoing campaign to save water, and has most recently
been indefinitely postponed thanks to efforts by the citizens of Cape Town.
To help conserve water we will be asked to: - Take short showers.
Visitors and residents alike are asked to limit their showers to two
minutes (120 seconds).- Flush only when necessary to dispose of solid
waste.- Use hand sanitizers instead of washing hands after bathroom
visits.- Don’t leave water running. For example, when brushing your teeth
use water in a cup to rinse.Although attendees will be asked to save water
as much as possible, the hotel assures us it has a secure water supply that
is both administered separately from the city's system and drawn from
multiple independent sources (including groundwater and desalination).
While the drought will impact our comfort, we will have plenty of water to
meet our needs for hydration and sanitation. We will strive to be cognizant
of the impact our presence has on the city’s water supply.It is clear that
the city is eager to have our presence.[2] Cape Town is highly dependent on
tourism, which will help fund the infrastructure the city needs to deal
with ongoing challenges of water conservation. Our presence will also have
a positive impact on other organizations hoping to hold their events there
as well. We will continue to closely monitor the situation, but at this
juncture we are committed to holding Wikimania in Cape Town. Holding
Wikimania in Cape Town provides us the opportunity to show we are truly a
global movement. The water crisis currently faced by Cape Town is an issue
that will soon affect cities and people around the world, so there are
valuable lessons even as we join the local community in their conservation
efforts. Perhaps most important is each person’s commitment to respect for
our host city, and eagerness to attend at this time in service to that
community. Wikimania is an exciting but stressful event and there are going
to be additional stressors, please consider that when making travel
decisions. For those accustomed to unrestricted water, this may challenge
you and we strongly suggest you make the decision whether to attend with
full information about the restrictions, and understanding about how they
may affect your visit.[2] We very much hope you will choose to join us, but
of course, no one is required to attend.If you have any questions regarding
Wikimania, please send them my way. We expect to announce the program by
early May.Best regards,Ellie YoungWikimedia Foundation Events Manager[1]
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Water_shortage
<https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Water_shortage>[2]
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/cape-town/water-crisis-drought-how-to/
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/cape-town/water-crisis-drought-how-to/>