Mailing List Archive

Note-taking template for Wikimania session leaders and attendees
Hi everyone,

We have a robust experimental program set up to include remote participants
who want to follow Wikimania this year — and to ensure that all program
material is archived in a singular location for future use. Please feel
free to forward this email widely – or post the content anywhere you'd
like. There is also a plain-text version
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-August/088307.html>
[1],
suitable for viewers and readers, that you are welcome to copy and use.

*Livestreaming and Recording Select Talks*

We are experimenting with livestreaming the keynote sessions this year
simultaneously on YouTube and Facebook Live. Here is the complete schedule
of livestreamed events
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Livestreamed_keynotes> [2]. *Please
feel free to share this on social media, on-wiki, and with any groups you
are a part of* — we want to ensure that people who would like to tune in
know when these are taking place.

In addition, we have the equipment and staffing to record all sessions
taking place in Ballroom West. We do not have the capacity to move
equipment between rooms. You can see all planned recorded sessions
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/All_Session_Notes> [3] — these
will be posted as soon as they are encoded and uploaded to YouTube.

We will measure the success of this program and see if we can expand for
future events.

*Notetaking for every session *

Because we cannot record all sessions, we are asking for your help to
ensure that all sessions are documented for remote attendees and for future
documentation.

If you are leading a session at Wikimania this year, we are asking that you
request that someone in your session take notes. If you are attending a
session, please remind the leader to assign a notetaker (or volunteer to
take notes with others!) This will help remote participants follow talks,
and also ensure that sessions are well-documented.

Below are instructions for notetakers — this information is also available
on the speaker's page
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Speaker_information#Notetaking_during_sessions>
[4]
and on the Session Notes page
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/All_Session_Notes> [3] , where we
hope to collect all session notes, recordings, and conference
presentations.

1. Copy the template here
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimania2017-template [5] into a new
Etherpad file with the following naming structure:
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimania2017-YourSession [6]

(Replace 'Your Session' with the name of the session you are attending or
leading.)

2. Take notes and fill out the information in the document

3. After the session, add the Etherpad link to the page where we are
collecting notes
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/All_Session_Notes>. [3]

4. Speakers, please add any links to slideshows, decks, videos, or links to
this site.

Added bonus: The All Session Notes page
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/All_Session_Notes> [3] allows you
to sort sessions at Wikimania by topic and theme. You can search for
'movement strategy' and find all of the sessions that involve movement
strategy, or 'GLAM' and find all of the sessions that are about GLAM in
some way...so it may be a useful tool to help figure out which sessions to
attend.

*Social Media: *We will be monitoring the hashtag #wikimania and
#wikimania2017 to scoop things into the @wikimania and @wikimedia accounts
on Twitter. PLEASE feel free to livetweet sessions (with permission) and
use the hashtags!

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns. We're
looking forward to ensuring that editors and readers — in Montreal and afar
— can come together and participate in Wikimania.

Mel

[1]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-August/088307.html

[2] https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Livestreamed_keynotes

[3] https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/All_Session_Notes

[4]
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Speaker_information#Notetaking_during_sessions

[5] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimania2017-template

[6] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimania2017-YourSession

--
Melody Kramer <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:MKramer_(WMF)>
Senior Audience Development Manager

mkramer@wikimedia.org
Re: Note-taking template for Wikimania session leaders and attendees [ In reply to ]
Hi Melody,

are you in contact with Victor Grigas? He put together a group of people
who are willing to record sessions as well. So I guess the list of
available video material of sessions will be much longer :)

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Elisabeth Mandl
Redaktion & Gestaltung

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Note-taking template for Wikimania session leaders and attendees [ In reply to ]

> Yes! Victor is working with Brendan Campbell, who will have 5
> camcorders/tripods to distribute on a first-come, first-serve basis from
> the main ballroom (where Brendan will also be coordinating the
> livestreaming and recordings.)

I expect there will be more recorded sessions — both from the camcorder