Mailing List Archive

Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos
Hello Wikimedians!

My name is Victor Grigas, I’m a storyteller and video producer
<https://www.youtube.com/user/WikimediaFoundation/videos> at the Wikimedia
Foundation, the non-profit that supports Wikipedia. Many of you may already
know me or my work. I'll be in Montreal at Wikimania from Thursday August
10th through Sunday August 13th and wanted to ask that if you *know someone
*or *are someone* who has an inspiring story to share about how you use
Wikimedia projects, then we'd like to hear it!

If you are interested, please answer a few questions on this private Google
form or share it with someone you know who will be attending Wikimania:

https://goo.gl/forms/h6a9TWFyFMs4qgua2
(All answers are confidential and we will not publish your story without
first getting your written permission.)

We publish profiles of Wikimedians here regularly:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/c/communications/profiles/

Then, in Montreal I can take your portrait photo
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:VGrigas_(WMF)#A_few_Wikipedians> for
free to publish on Wikimedia Commons. I’ll be there from Thursday August
10th through Sunday August 13th. I’ll only need a few minutes of your time
to take your photo and we can co-ordinate by email. Once I'm there, I'll
have a better idea of where I'll be for the best lighting setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to email Victor Grigas -
vgrigas@wikimedia.org

Thank you!

--

*Victor Grigas*
Video Production Manager
Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
‘All of the articles on Wikipedia are written by volunteers’

You’ll need to correct that for your next video - if you knew the extent of paid editing, blackmail, and extortion we are discovering and trying to combat you’d fall off your chair or drop your camera.

Kudpung

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
Hey Kudpong,

Those people are still volunteers from the perspective of Wikipedia - they
are not being paid by the Wikimedia Foundation. If true, it is a worrying
development, but perhaps not a reason for Victor to change his videos.

Best,
Lodewijk

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
I’m talking about the sockfarms of literally hundreds of users who are being paid to write articles - among whom are sadly admins and New Page Reviewers (according to their claims). I thought that would have been clear.

KudpUng

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM, cs <cs@edubkk.org> wrote:

> if you knew the extent of paid editing, blackmail, and extortion we are discovering and trying to combat you’d fall off your chair or drop your camera.

If you have statistics (ideally across languages) and you can help us
understand this problem better, please provide them or a pointer to
them at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158476

Best,
Leila

--
Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
We are not statisticians - we leave that to the people who are paid to make stats ;)

However, a look at our en.Wiki SPI and COIN departments will make you fall off your chair too - there are ‘editors’ even operating protection rackets (proven).
I’m not sure Phab is the place to report it - despite some high level conferences with the WMF we have been unable to convince of the need for software solutions to help combat it.

It should be the topic of a talk at Wikimania but my propsed presentation has been blocked two years running.

KudpUng

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
Without distracting too much from the original invitation extended to
Wikimedians to talk about their personal stories (these have always turned
out to be pretty cool!)...

Agree with Kudpung that phabricator is probably the wrong place to post
anything that has to do with social issues on the site - which is largely
what undisclosed paid editing is. I do, however, disagree with him about
the number of individuals involved. Based on my own observations,
including a few big sockpuppetry investigations - the number of people who
are doing the really problematic undisclosed paid editing (including the
coercive behaviours) is probably very small - less than 100, and possibly
even less than 50. They just run an army of socks that are often very, very
difficult to link together without an enormous investment of time, because
they do take steps to keep accounts separate. We have found several sock
rings with several hundred sock accounts, bur probably only 2-4 people
actively editing.

Risker/Anne

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
I don't know about other projects, but the English Wikipedia imported a
large amount of text from an out of copyright encyclopaedia, the 1910
version of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I'm sure much of that is still
there, and while the writers of it will be long dead they probably weren't
anyone's volunteers at the time, certainly not ours. We also incorporate
lots of quotes, especially if they are out of copyright.

You can sort of shuffle round the spam problems that Kudpung mentions
because they are mostly unwanted and not part of the design (though we are
happy if someone with a conflict of interest posts a suggested extra
paragraph on a talkpage and another editor makes it more neutral and adds
it to the article.....).. But the out of copyright public domain bits,
those are part of the design ‘All of the articles on Wikipedia are written
by volunteers’ is not a statement that fully reflects our aims as a
movement. Remember we are part of the open source movement, and much of our
content especially the images but also some of the text is from other open
sources. If we try to imply that we think of wikipedia as only feeding into
the pool of open source material and not receiving and using openly
licensed material from others then we undermine our role of being
aggregators and editors as well as writers and photographers.

That said if the video contains the phrase ‘All of the articles on
Wikipedia are written by volunteers’ I managed to watch it twice and blink
and miss it both times. I liked that video, thanks for doing it. If I was
going to be pedantic about it I'd point out that people do come to
Wikipedia every day trying to slant it or hide things, but we have a large
community of volunteers who resist and usually revert that. Also it was
great to see the confidence of people saying that everything was sourced,
and of course if you add info and want it to stick you need to source it.
However we are a long long way from moving from our policy of verifiable to
one of verified, let alone of finding sources for the vast amount of
unverified information that we already have.

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
Sorry, just a general and kind request to *stick to the topic*.

If you want to discuss copyvio and/or paid editing and/or potentially
criminal behaviour of users, please change the topic accordingly.

Thank you.

L.

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
Hi Bluerasberry,

I believe that you have a project similar to this. Perhaps you and Victor
could coordinate your efforts.

Pine

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
For what it's worth, I agree with Kudpung that WMF should stop saying that
"All of the articles on Wikipedia are written by volunteers". I doubt that
anyone has reliable statistics on what percentages of articles are started
and/or edited by individuals who likely benefit financially from their
edits in one way or another, but the percentage on English Wikipedia is
likely to be significant.

Pine

Re: Personal stories about Wikimedia / free portrait photos [ In reply to ]
For what its worth (apparently very little), I fully agree with Luca.

Please start a different thread about this (and probably on a more suitable
list), and I'll happily join in.

Lodewijk