Mailing List Archive

Fwd: [Wikimedia-l] Wikiconference North America 2017, August 9th - 10th in Montreal!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kelly Doyle <kelly.doyle@mail.wvu.edu>
Date: Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Wikiconference North America 2017, August 9th - 10th
in Montreal!
To: "wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org" <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,

We are excited to have this opportunity to host WikiConference North
America 2017<https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Main_Page> (August 9th &
10th) this year ahead of Wikimania and we hope to see you there! As in
2016, the first day of WCNA is designated as our Wiki Culture Crawl Day and
the second day is fully programmed.

Wednesday, August 9th will be a Culture Crawl Day! This is a day-long event
where we collaborate with local museums, libraries, and cultural
institutions to host free backstage tours, edit-a-thons, and more. These
crawls are a fantastic opportunity for conference attendees to experience
the local culture, as well as collaborate with local institutions to
improve Wikipedia.

This year we have established relationships and are planning free access
and events with the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ)
and McGill University. At the BAnQ, we plan to have an edit-a-thon, where
Wikimedians utilize the Archive's resources to improve Wikipedia's coverage
of Montreal's people - and ending with an evening reception. A photo drive<
https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Photo_Drive> will be occurring
throughout the day.

Thursday, August 10th will be a day of programming. If you are interested
in participating in programming at WCNA, such as a presentation, panel
discussion, or an unconference session (lightning talk, open space, etc.)
on Thursday, August 10th, please submit your proposal here<
https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Submissions>.

We are seeking volunteers to help during the conference. Please sign up as
a volunteer<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfh4x1yzqiAuwbkHvy2BaIV
TLAxj6UP5DbXcfC-bUSdz67hyg/viewform?usp=sf_link> if you are interested.

For both days of WCNA 2017, you will need to register<https://
wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration> through the Wikimania
Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wikimania-
2017-registration-33032011636>. Please be sure you are registering for the
August 9 & 10, Wikiconference North America sessions. For those attending
the August 9th Cultural Crawl, there is a promo code available (wmcon2017);
note that if you use the promo code, you may not attend other
pre-conference events on August 9th. Only use the promo code if you plan on
only attending our Culture Crawl, as if you register for the incorrect
event with the promo code, you may be barred from entry to that
pre-conference event and/or session.

Best,
Kelly & the WCNA ’17 Planning Committee

/ Kelly Doyle
Wikipedian in Residence for Gender Equity
West Virginia University
(304) 293-0342
kelly.doyle@mail.wvu.edu