Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi Jonathan,

With regard to the point 2, issuing scholarships early, how early is a
question. Most countries, if not all, only allows one to apply no more than
3 months prior to their intended date of travel, so notifying recipients 6
months in advance is not going to help them in anyways.

We need to learn the reason provided by visa processing agency for the
rejection, which can help others decide what to submit and what to expect.
I think in this thread also I have missed that if anyone mentioned the
official reason provided to them. I see points made about
invitation/sponsorship letter sent from US for Canada visa here but
uncertain whether that was officially the reason for rejection.

Regards,
Dhaval Vyas

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
I agree with Jonathan that issuing scholarship earlier than three months
before event is meaningless. What I see as the most viable solution to this
problem is that WMF should leave invitations to host country who is
expected to work in tandem with their Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The
Wikimedia Conference in Berlin is working today not because Germany is
Visa-friendly but because of the way WMDE is handling the visa process.
It's surprising that WMF is the one inviting people to Canada rather than
the host country. I don't know if someone from the foundation will comment
on the invitation letter.

Best,

Isaac

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hey Folks,

I got my passport back today and count me in to the 'rejected party' :) The grounds of rejection are 'Travel History' and 'Purpose of Travel'. Though I have a fair travel history with 3 Schengen, a valid USA visa and some other visas. I guess the guy even didn't bother to check my passport.

Best of luck to all those participating in the Wikimania this year.

Cheers,

Nahid Sultan

User:NahidSultan<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:NahidSultan> on all Wikimedia Foundation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation>'s public wikis

Secretary, Wikimedia Bangladesh<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Bangladesh>

Twitter: @nahidunlimited<https://twitter.com/nahidunlimited>
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I got my visa approved. I also have a fairly good travel history (USA,
Singapore, Taiwan)

Regards,

Pavanaja

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:NahidSultan> User:NahidSultan on all
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation> Wikimedia Foundation's

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Isaac Olatunde <reachout2isaac@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Jonathan that issuing scholarship earlier than three months
> before event is meaningless. What I see as the most viable solution to this
> problem is that WMF should leave invitations to host country who is
> expected to work in tandem with their Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

?I would like to point out that WMF normally does work with the above, but
with Canada their processes did not allow for this option....

The Steering Committee and Foundation will no doubt revisit the location
issue for Wikimania. We do mostly go to "visa-friendly" countries but once
every 5 years or so the conference is located in Canada or USA which has
these challenges.
?

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
eyoung@wikimedia.org
c. 510 701 8649
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Unfair to say Australia is the least friendly country as the Australian
Customs and Border protection has a whole dedicated process for conferences
https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Trav/Conf that enable processing of visa
regardless of country by the organisors. That over 100 countries can
apply electronically for a visitor visa with most applications process
within 72 hours but what would I know having only worked in the tourism
industry for 30 years that couldnt be found out by putting poor research om
3rd party sites as facts.

On 3 July 2017 at 06:03, Mykola Kozlenko <mycola-k@ukr.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the sake of the discussion on "it's way better in my country", please
> look what your country's visa policy really is. For instance, check
> https://www.passportindex.org/byWelcomingRank.php or relative (English)
> Wikipedia articles. The former gives the following figures:
> (Five latest Wikimania hosts)
> * Canada: 51 country can enter visa-free, visa on arrival, ETA or
> equivalent
> * Mexico: 67
> * UK: 91
> * Italy: 93
> * Hong Kong: 144
> (Some other countries mentioned here)
> * Australia: 34
> * Thailand: 78
> * Israel: 96
>
> Yes, that means that Canada is the least visa-friendly Wikimania host in
> the last 5 years. And yes, Thailand is less visa-friendly than the UK. And
> yes, Australia is the least visa-friendly country with an established
> Wikimedia chapter.
>
> Thus please do refer to facts when qualifying a country as a visa-friendly
> or not, and not to your own perception of a country's visa policy.
>
> Thanks
> Mykola (NickK)
>
> --- ??????????? ???????????? ---
> ??? ????: "DaB." <wp@dabpunkt.eu>
> ????: 2 ????? 2017, 23:19:44
>
> Hello,
> Am 02.07.2017 um 13:37 schrieb cs:
> > a country like Thailand where I live
>
> you mean a country which is currently a military dictatorship (for the
> second time in 10 years)? A country that was THIS close to a open civil
> war? And if not a civil war, maybe a real war with Cambodia?
>
> Visa problems are problematic, but it is 10 times better than to give
> the Wikimania to an instable country – we are not the FIFA.
>
> Sincerely,
> DaB.
>

> --
> Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
> PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi Gnagarra,

if you want to make a proposal to host wikimania - please do. There's a
whole package of things to consider though, not just visa.

Otherwise, I think it is mostly distractingin this contest to hear people
'brag' about their own country's visa policy. If that is a topic you want
to start, I suggest you branch off the discussion, into something like
'visa in my country are super easy'.
(and this is equally valid for all other people from other countries that
like to share about their visa policies)

Best,
Lodewijk

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
I have on 4 occassions put forward Perth WA bids, including for 2017, 2018
and 2019, my response was purely to highlight that information being put
forward in this email thread that was incorrect and later praise as nice
to facts being presented. NO intention of usurping this thread. I'm well
aware of what it takes to host such a large event.

I know what the significance being able to attend a Wikimania is and feel
for those who are having visa problems

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I am Balaji. User:Balajijagadesh from India. Yesterday My visa
application was rejected with the reply that "Having a legitimate business
purpose in Canada".

Best wishes far people participating in wikimania

Regards,
J. Balaji

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Excuse me for the blunt question. But are there any shortlisted candidates this time?

A fellow Wikimedian asked me this, and I though I might as well ask the same on this thread.

I'm sure there would be a lot of genuinely interested Wikimedians who would like to attend the conference, in lieu of the sheer number of rejected applicants. (with respect to the successful applicants who would not be able to make it, of course)

Thanks and regards,

User:Rehman<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rehman>
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
We have a waitlist from the original pool of people who made it into Phase
2 consideration by the Scholarship committee. Those people were notified
that they might be offered a scholarship as late as mid-July. We have
filled the people who couldn't attend for whatever reason after they
accepted the scholarship offer with names from there.

Ellie
WMF Event Manager

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
On a conversation with ViswaPrabha he confirmed that he got visa rejection
from Canadian embessy so can't participate in this wikimania.

He is holding a Canadian passport but got bad.

Very sad to hear this.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi Ranjith,

Am I reading correctly that Viswa has a Canadian passport? If he has one, then he doesn’t need a visa to go to Montréal.

Best regards,

Josh

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Ranjith S <ranjith.sajeev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On a conversation with ViswaPrabha he confirmed that he got visa rejection from Canadian embessy so can't participate in this wikimania.
>
> He is holding a Canadian passport but got bad.
>
> Very sad to hear this.
>
> On 28-Jul-2017 3:50 AM, "Ellie Young" <eyoung@wikimedia.org <mailto:eyoung@wikimedia.org>> wrote:
> We have a waitlist from the original pool of people who made it into Phase 2 consideration by the Scholarship committee. Those people were notified that they might be offered a scholarship as late as mid-July. We have filled the people who couldn't attend for whatever reason after they accepted the scholarship offer with names from there.
>
> Ellie
> WMF Event Manager
>

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Rehman Abubakr <rehman.wikimedia@live.com <mailto:rehman.wikimedia@live.com>> wrote:
> Excuse me for the blunt question. But are there any shortlisted candidates this time?
>

> A fellow Wikimedian asked me this, and I though I might as well ask the same on this thread.
>

> I'm sure there would be a lot of genuinely interested Wikimedians who would like to attend the conference, in lieu of the sheer number of rejected applicants. (with respect to the successful applicants who would not be able to make it, of course)
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> User:Rehman <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rehman>

> ?

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com> | +63 (977) 831-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://joshlim.me <http://joshlim.me/>
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry...but this one is a red flag.

Canadian passports are only issued to Canadian citizens, and Canadian
citizens do not require a visa to come to Canada, regardless of where in
the world they are when they start their trip. They must enter Canada
using their Canadian passport for any related travel information (i.e.,
using the Canadian passport for airline information), at the time of
boarding and at the time of arrival in Canada. If ViswaPrabha is a dual
citizen, then both passports should be carried at all times.

If he applied for a visa, he received horrible advice. If he is a Canadian
citizen, he can probably still travel, and should contact the Ministry of
Immigration and Citizenship directly.

Risker/Anne

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Sorry my bad. He is holding a us visa. Not Canadian passport.

But still got a rejection.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Let me correct, Viswa only has an Indian passport. I think Ranjith wanted to say that Viswa's visa got rejected even though he had a Valid US visa.

Regards
Satdeep Gill

Strategy Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation
Co-founder, Punjabi Wikimedians
Treasurer, Affiliations Committee
Member, Language Committee

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Ha Ha!
Very tired and completely down with a viral fever + an unexpected denial of
an almost definitive temporary visa + realization of loss of money.
To that miserable scenario, Ranjith's wrongly worded mail brought me some
good laughter as I get to open the mailbox.
Thank you Ranjith. :-)

Now few facts among the many:
1. I have a long travel history since 1992 running through Europe, Americas
and Middle East.
2. Well established reasons to show that I must / will get back to India
after this short visit.
3. I hold a US B1/B2 visa valid as on date.
4. There is a 'clickable' and identifiable hotel booking and travel booking
in my name.
5. The interface to the visa application web site / office is like a black
hole. There is no way you can even ask why your application is not being
responded even after 60 days. No telephone, no mail ID that can reply to.
The whole system seems to be
a rude automation of some 19th century port pass system.

Canada, for a whole lifetime, I always adored you! But now I feel sorry for
you!

-Viswaprabha

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Sound pretty much like it is for a Brit trying to get a visa for Australia these days through their visa agency in Bangkok - and we once used to own the place ;)
I’ve stopped visiting my relations there because of the hassle getting in.
I think it’s due to my passport showing stamps for every developing country in Asia, and living in Thailand.

Kudpung

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
"The whole system seems to be a rude automation of some 19th century port
pass system."

- As a Canadian, I can tell you the federal government is still living in
the 19th century, or early 20th century at best.

JP

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 2:56 AM, ViswaPrabha (?????????) <
> [...]

>> Phase 2 consideration by the Scholarship committee. Those people were
>>
>> notified that they might be offered a scholarship as late as mid-July. We
>>
>> have filled the people who couldn't attend for whatever reason after they
>>
>> accepted the scholarship offer with names from there.
>>

>> Ellie
>>
>> WMF Event Manager
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Rehman Abubakr <
>>
>> rehman.wikimedia@live.com> wrote:
>>

>> Excuse me for the blunt question. But are there any shortlisted
>>
>> candidates this time?
>>

>> A fellow Wikimedian asked me this, and I though I might as well ask the
>>
>> same on this thread.
>>

>> I'm sure there would be a lot of genuinely interested Wikimedians who
>>
>> would like to attend the conference, in lieu of the sheer number of
>>
>> rejected applicants. (with respect to the successful applicants who would

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec) H2L 2P3,jpbeland@wikimedia.ca
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]

> ?
>
> *5. The interface to the visa application web site / office is like a
> black hole. There is no way you can even ask why your application is not
> being responded even after 60 days. No telephone, no mail ID that can reply
> to. The whole system seems to bea rude automation of some 19th century port
> pass system.*

As someone who had to deal with Canadian Immigration fo?r mo?re than 2
yeas, I can say they a?re not so bu?roc?ratic as Eu?rope and USA, but not
even nea?rly as easy to deal as the B?razilian Immig?ration :).

Anyway, just to help you and eveyone else who wants to contact
immig?ration, he?re is the page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

?And since this Wikimania is in Quebec, if fo?r some ?reason you need to
talk with Immig?ration Quebec (not necessa?ry fo?r a tou?rist visa, but you
neve?r know), he?re is thei?r contact page:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/coordonnees/telephone.html?

_____
*?Béria L?. de Rodríguez*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho.*

On 31 July 2017 at 03:56, ViswaPrabha (?????????) <viswaprabha@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ha Ha!
> Very tired and completely down with a vi
> ??
> ral fever + an unexpected denial of an almost definitive temporary visa +
> realization of loss of money.
> To that miserable scenario, Ranjith's wrongly worded mail brought me some
> good laughter as I get to open the mailbox.
> Thank you Ranjith. :-)
>
> Now few facts among the many:
> 1. I have a long travel history since 1992 running through Europe,
> Americas and Middle East.
> 2. Well established reasons to show that I must / will get back to India
> after this short visit.
> 3. I hold a US B1/B2 visa valid as on date.
> 4. There is a 'clickable' and identifiable hotel booking and travel
> booking in my name.
> ??
> 5. The interface to the visa application web site / office is like a black
> hole. There is no way you can even ask why your application is not being
> responded even after 60 days. No telephone, no mail ID that can reply to.
> The whole system seems to be
> a rude automation of some 19th century port pass system.
>
> Canada, for a whole lifetime, I always adored you! But now I feel sorry
> for you!
>
> -Viswaprabha

1 2 3 4  View All