6-days conference. Otherwise, a global community is not truly presented.

Best wishes,
Bodhisattwa
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
+1, I'm as well shocked to hear of so many unsuccessful visa applications this year.

Regards,
Leon

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
That’s one of the reasons why I proposed Bangkok, Thailand, for 2019 - apart from its extremely tolerant social cultures and very low cost, while being a very modern hi-tech city easily accessible by direct flights from most parts of the world. Almost everyone can enter the country for at least 15 days without even a visa. Thailand only makes it difficult for people wanting to stay longer (years) in the country on the pretext of being tourists.

It’s a shame for the visa refusals, but perhaps this will open up the possibility to some refused scholarship applications.

Kudpung.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
These issues are a symptom of the closed processes that have occurred
firstly with Montreal and next year with middle eastern attendees to Cape
Town . Acknowledging that the change was because of the amount effort put
in by unsuccessful bidders was said to be wasted its showing that some
things need to be opened for community discussion before decisions are
made.

That it may be better for the WMF to require applicants to first obtain a
visa before being confirmed for the scholarships in the future.
Perth/Australia is another place that visas for attendees wouldnt have been
a big issue.

On 22 June 2017 at 17:43, cs <cs@edubkk.org> wrote:

> That’s one of the reasons why I proposed Bangkok, Thailand, for 2019 -
> apart from its extremely tolerant social cultures and very low cost,
> while being a very modern hi-tech city easily accessible by direct
> flights from most parts of the world. Almost everyone can enter the
> country for at least 15 days without even a visa. Thailand only makes
> it difficult for people wanting to stay longer (years) in the country on
> the pretext of being tourists.
>
> It’s a shame for the visa refusals, but perhaps this will open up the
> possibility to some refused scholarship applications.
>
> Kudpung.
>
> On 22Jun, 2017, at 16:23, Bodhisattwa Mandal <bodhisattwa.rgkmc@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The main topic of discussion among the scholarship recipients from global
> south this month is the high visa rejection rate by Canadian embassies from
> these countries.
>
> This year, we had 7 scholarship recipients from Bengali community, 4 from
> India and 3 from Bangladesh. Already 3 out of 4 scholarship recipients from
> Indian part of the communities got their visa rejected, others are waiting.
> Although I am hoping for the best for all the scholarship recipients, but
> may be news of more rejections are coming soon.
>
> Wikimania should be organised in a visa friendly country, and not in those
> countries where global south citizens are not allowed to enter even for a
> 6-days conference. Otherwise, a global community is not truly presented.
>
> Best wishes,
> Bodhisattwa

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
This is a big issue and I think should be looked into more seriously.
Similar challenges were faced by participants from the Global South
selected to attend the CC Summit in Toronto early this year.

This should inform future selection for all conference venues as it allows
for poor representation of the Global South at international conferences.

Cheers,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Gnangarra <gnangarra@gmail.com> wrote:

> These issues are a symptom of the closed processes that have occurred
> firstly with Montreal and next year with middle eastern attendees to Cape
> Town . Acknowledging that the change was because of the amount effort put
> in by unsuccessful bidders was said to be wasted its showing that some
> things need to be opened for community discussion before decisions are
> made.
>
> That it may be better for the WMF to require applicants to first obtain a
> visa before being confirmed for the scholarships in the future.
> Perth/Australia is another place that visas for attendees wouldnt have been
> a big issue.
>
> On 22 June 2017 at 17:43, cs <cs@edubkk.org> wrote:
>
>> That’s one of the reasons why I proposed Bangkok, Thailand, for 2019 -
>> apart from its extremely tolerant social cultures and very low cost,
>> while being a very modern hi-tech city easily accessible by direct
>> flights from most parts of the world. Almost everyone can enter the
>> country for at least 15 days without even a visa. Thailand only makes
>> it difficult for people wanting to stay longer (years) in the country on
>> the pretext of being tourists.
>>
>> It’s a shame for the visa refusals, but perhaps this will open up the
>> possibility to some refused scholarship applications.
>>
>> Kudpung.
>>
>> On 22Jun, 2017, at 16:23, Bodhisattwa Mandal <bodhisattwa.rgkmc@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The main topic of discussion among the scholarship recipients from global
>> south this month is the high visa rejection rate by Canadian embassies from
>> these countries.
>>
>> This year, we had 7 scholarship recipients from Bengali community, 4 from
>> India and 3 from Bangladesh. Already 3 out of 4 scholarship recipients from
>> Indian part of the communities got their visa rejected, others are waiting.
>> Although I am hoping for the best for all the scholarship recipients, but
>> may be news of more rejections are coming soon.
>>
>> Wikimania should be organised in a visa friendly country, and not in
>> those countries where global south citizens are not allowed to enter even
>> for a 6-days conference. Otherwise, a global community is not truly
>> presented.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Bodhisattwa

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

*Felix Nartey*
*Cofounder/Director Finance & Admin*
*Open Foundation West Africa <https://openfoundationwestafrica.org/>*
*+233242844987 | +447440959477*
*Skype:Flixtey*
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
I wonder, do we keep track of the number of visa rejections year over year,
so that we know in comparison?

There are of course many factors that go into venue selection - one of them
is visa (another is security, political stability etc). The countries that
I remember going relatively smoothly were the ones where the organizers
sought a collaboration with the foreign affairs of their country, to get
some help. I don't know if Wikimedia Canada was able to accomplish that.
But it does mean that a general bad reputation is not necessarily a bad
rejection rate for this particular conference. (if memory serves me well,
WMIL did a great job in this respect in 2011, for example)

Lodewijk

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
It is easy to conclude the location hinders visa application acceptance. As
much as it appears to be so, I strongly believe if there's good enough Visa
support and assistance from the Wikimania Team/WMF, rejected cases could be
low.

Obviously, an applicant should have documents intact and good, and submit
all the necessary details the embassy wants, including the invitation
letter. However, in some countries, that ain't enough.

In 2012, the invitation letter I submitted to the consular at the US
embassy here in Ghana, she didn't read, and I could see from her face how
nonsense it looked to her. Heck, anybody anywhere could conjure such a
sheet of paper with black ink on, any time any day. Plus, the consular had
NO idea what Wikimedia was. There was no way I could explain what Wikimedia
is in the few seconds I had in front of the teller-like counter.

Wiki? WikiLeaks? Duh!

As much a mere letter of invitation is formal to some extent, to what
extent is the WMF also willing to support visa applications outside just
the letter?

Not saying WMF should do exactly same, but I know other organizations that
pick up the phone, and call the local embassy of the invitee way ahead of
time to initialize conversations and to explain to *what extent* whoever
they've invited fits in the about-to-happen event.

The embassy in many cases, asks questions they won't otherwise ask the
applicant, but would, to the inviting organization.

This visa issue, until the WMF *truly assist*, some countries will still
struggle getting accepted visa.

It is not easy, and it ain't something just a letter wipes away.

rex

PS: I know cases where rejected visa are reconsidered and approved just
because the inviting organization literally stepped in, and got serious
with the embassy.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Lodewijk, AFAIK we've never kept track of rejections, but I could find out.
My gut feeling is that there hasn't been a massive variation over the past
4 years, I think Mexico City was the most open to everybody (?)

Rexford, possibly (and yeah Wiki = Wikileaks is *always* a problem lol).
But some visa systems are very closed and bureaucratic and it's hard to
bring any influence or assistance to bear beyond supporting documentation,
i.e you can't even talk to a human being about it.

To *truly assist* some of it would involve building political contacts
beforehand to advocate for visas (i.e your local representative can help
sometimes), that's a possibility but may create other problems, capacity
for a start.
The logistics of organising travel/accomm for hundreds of people from
hundreds of locations is already onerous, adding an intensive visa support
process into that it when some visa systems feel like a lottery would be
easy to overpromise and underdeliver.

What strikes me here is that visas are a problem for people from our
developing communities, but they are one of many factors in deciding a
Wikimania location.
One country that might be visa-friendly to one, is prohibitively expensive
to get to/stay in for another.
So while Australia might be relaxed in terms of visas (I'm not confident of
this btw) it's also objectively remote/expensive.

Whether a location has achieved that balance is always a question, and I
can't think of one Wikimania where everyone's agreed it has ;-)

Stuart

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
In 2013, a number of Wikimania attendees had their Hong Kong visas stuck in
the pipeline at the local Chinese embassies with no response to any
enquiry. A month before Wikimania, a local sponsor of Wikimania 2013
(DotAsia) agreed to be guarantor and negotiated directly with the
Immigration Department of Hong Kong to secure the visas. The visas were
then sent by registered mail to attendees. Much of that work involved me
personally going to the Immigration Department headquarters in Hong Kong
every working day for several weeks to get the paperwork right. In the end,
we saved about a dozen visa applications and only one person was unable to
come to Hong Kong due to visa issues.

I'm not sure about the Canadian system, but it is likely that Wikimedia
Canada and the Wikimania committee can request the visa-issuing authorities
in Canada to review the applications. The first steps would be to check who
the relevant authorities are, and to ask all applicants with rejected visa
applications to send the Wikimania organisers the details of rejection.

Re GN - Visa processes are usually the reverse of what you suggested.
Normally the host organisation issues their invitation, confirms travel and
accommodation arrangements, then the applicant goes to the relevant
embassy. It is not feasible to apply for a visa before one makes travel
arrangements.

Deryck

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Well, the goal won't be to *influence* or whatnot. That isn't gonna work.
The goal is to provide extra details and answer questions that might come
up.

Some systems aren't entirely closed. From the outside, it looks closed, but
a closer look reveals there's the option for recognized organizations
(keyword is "recognized") to stretch a hand.

Not all embassies in varied countries run the same. But the question is,
has there been any attempt (stunt) of that sort pulled off ever?

And after spending a load ton of effort in organizing, if the
invitees don't get to come, does that not bring us to where we began?

It ain't an easy or going to be an easy task. However, trying to dodge that
also opens the opportunity for rejections easily.

Of course, it feels like a lottery. However, if there's anything one could
do to tip the chances of 'winning' the lottery a bit to the bright side,
won't that be a worthwhile effort, no matter how hard?

rex

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Stuart Prior <stuart.prior@wikimedia.org.uk
> wrote:

> Lodewijk, AFAIK we've never kept track of rejections, but I could find
> out. My gut feeling is that there hasn't been a massive variation over the
> past 4 years, I think Mexico City was the most open to everybody (?)

That would be good for perspective - I don't know any better than that
there are complaints about scholarship rejections each year. Mexico may
indeed have been the 'easiest'. But of course, rejections don't only happen
to scholarship recipients, but also to self- or externally funded
participants. I can imagine you won't have access to that data unless it's
reported, though.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Esino Lario too.
There was a plan to transit people through Switzerland like second option using the Maastricht's agreement. As I know this option was not used.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
What problems are expected for middle eastern attendees to Cape Town? What countries passports are expected to have problems?

Cheers,

Peter

[...]

Image removed by sender.
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
In addition, providing this *true assistance* won't be for *all* attendees.
In many cases, only a select few of the total attendees will have the
visa-related issues.

Thus, say out of 100 applicants, just less than 20 individuals might need
the assistance beyond the letter at their local embassies. And over and
over again, we know these countries that yearly present visa troubles for
applicants.

And since it can be relatively easier for individuals with relatively high
travel history to get visas, the actual people who might need this
dedicated assistance can drop further.

rex

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Following the Stuart's commentary, for Mexico City the low rate of
rejection was not for free. I supposed my country was a friendly
destination because their history welcoming people from all over the world
until I was involved in the visa process for many wikimedians who faced
different kind of issues. So I was engaged with WMF's staff to provide any
evidence and documents to make fast responses to reduce the chances of
rejection. Among the issues we had:

- A really annoying insistence of the consular authorities of Mexico
rejecting documents in digital copies. We had to send many hard copies via
express mail services
- Consular officers insisted on proving in some way that the Wikimedia
Foundation has funds against possible contingencies of the attendees. This
was mainly because many of the officials who received the documents did not
know anyything about Wikipedia and its fame. I remember me talking on
conventional telephone several times from Mexico City to New Delhi to give
more information.
- Lack of Mexican embassies in all the attendees countries, so some people
needs to travel to other country to the nearest embassy to get visa, so,
chances of fail getting documents and doing procedures in other country
which is not yours is risky.

In any case, having prior time is the only antidote. Some situations can be
solved, but with anticipated time. Rules are rules and in consular
proceedings much more no matter the country where the event will held and
this is not really attributable to the people who are working supporting
the process doing their best.

> [...]
>>> for a start.
>>> The logistics of organising travel/accomm for hundreds of people from
>>> hundreds of locations is already onerous, adding an intensive visa support
>>> process into that it when some visa systems feel like a lottery would be
>>> easy to overpromise and underdeliver.
>>>
>>> What strikes me here is that visas are a problem for people from our
>>> developing communities, but they are one of many factors in deciding a
>>> Wikimania location.
>>> One country that might be visa-friendly to one, is prohibitively
>>> expensive to get to/stay in for another.
>>> So while Australia might be relaxed in terms of visas (I'm not confident
>>> of this btw) it's also objectively remote/expensive.
>>>
>>> Whether a location has achieved that balance is always a question, and I
>>> can't think of one Wikimania where everyone's agreed it has ;-)

*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid *

// Mis comunicaciones respecto a Wikipedia/Wikimedia pueden tener una
moratoria en su atención debido a que es un voluntariado.
// Ayuda a proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora: https://donate.wikimedia.org
Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
I think Wikimedia Canada not send any intimation to their Embassy of
respective countries.

Jayanta Nath
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
My visa is also got rejected. So I am not coming to Canada this year. I
think Canada is a bad place for Wikimania due to their strict rules. And
thinking that is not a tourist friendly country.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
As per WMF directions, Wikimedia Canada was not involved in anything in
relations to visas. The WMF is taking care of that themselves. They did not
ask us to write anything to embassies.

I am sorry that Canada has strict rules on visa requirements for a lot of
countries.

Jean-Philippe Béland
Vice President, Wikimedia Canada
User:Amqui

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Ranjith S <ranjith.sajeev@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My visa is also got rejected. So I am not coming to Canada this year. I
> think Canada is a bad place for Wikimania due to their strict rules. And
> thinking that is not a tourist friendly country.
>
> On 23-Jun-2017 12:52 AM, "Jayanta Nath" <jayantanth@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think Wikimedia Canada not send any intimation to their Embassy of
>> respective countries.
>>
>> Jayanta Nath

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter
supporting Wikipedia
535 avenue Viger Est, Montréal (Québec) H2L 2P3,jpbeland@wikimedia.ca
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Wikimedia Canada was not the requester behind having Wikimania in Montreal,
so it cannot be blamed for that. A "Wikimania Montreal Committee", now
defunct, was behind the request to WMF to have Wikimania in Montreal and
they did not coordinate with the chapter in doing this. As a chapter, we
are picking up some of the slack right now to ensure a smooth conference,
but I don't think it is fair to blame the chapter for not doing this.

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi Jean-Philippe,

just to be clear: I'm not trying to blame WMCA for anything. 'being able to
accomplish that' includes having the expertise and manpower. It would be
great if you could help with visa issues, but given the situation, that is
just not always possible.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Jean-Philippe Béland <jpbeland@wikimedia.ca

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I don't understand that how WMCA directed by WMF about the VISA invitation?
In visa application, there must have an invitation for Canada, otherwise it
would reject. We are applying Visa to Canada, but invitation comes from
USA. This is a foolish decision made by WMF. As per my knowledge in every
year, every visa applicant for Wikimania, got their invitation from hosting
countries.

Regards,
Jayanta
Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hi Jayanta,

please be careful to make judgement calls without knowing all the facts.

Lodewijk

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Hai,

My thought is - at first Canada is a tough country to get VISA for people
from Asia, Africa and other 3rd world countries. They like only people with
USA,UK Visa. Then the invitation problem it was from USA. No mention about
an organisation in Canada. Third the Canadian embassy is reject more visas
than accepting them from all the third world countries. So Canada is a very
bad choice for an international conference like Wikimania. Also Other
strict VISA Rule countries like USA, UK, China, Australia etc. Seeking some
friendly countries are good for better participation. My rejection reason
was current economic conditions and family ties. (I submitted my marriage
certificate and bank statement for that). After all we are staying in
Canada for a week and WMF is sponsoring us. But they still saying the
economic condition is no right.

Regards,

*Ranjith Siji*
Smashing Web
www.smashingweb.info <http://smashingweb.info>

Chat Google Talk: ranjith.sajeev Skype: ranjith.sajeev

Re: Visa rejections [ In reply to ]
Interesting.

You are right and you don't have to blame and there is no sense to
excuse the current rejection of visas.

Instead of speaking always of a division Global North and Global South
there should be a support for your action to save an important event
like Wikimania.

Kind regards