Mailing List Archive

Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions
Here's an update on various activities pertaining to our the upcoming
Wikimania '17 which is being held August 9-13 in Montréal, Québec, Canada.

WMF Scholarship Program: 110 people were offered and subsequently accepted
a full or partial scholarship to attend. The awardees are listed by user
names and the list is posted here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars

Submissions: The program committee has just finished it's review and
deliberations. Rejections and acceptance emails are going out this week
and next. We expect to post the program by the end of this month.

Registration and accommodation information is now up for everyone at:

https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation

If you are a scholarship or other WMF funded attendee (staff, contractor,
board, etc), please wait until you hear from the WMF with your registration
and accommodation instructions.

If you have any questions about the conference, please email
wikimania-info@wikimedia.org

Please spread the word!!!!

Thanks, Ellie

--
Ellie Young
Events Manager
Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Long back when I asked for list of scholarship awardees, with their usernames, someone answered saying that the usernames of scholarship awardees can’t be disclosed. How come they have been disclosed now?

Regards,

Pavanaja

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
You must have received faulty information. The recipients have always been
revealed, at least in past years.

Adrian Raddatz

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
thanks for update

Barbara Fischer
Kuratorin für Kulturpartnerschaften
via Twitter: @fischerdata

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-(0)44

http://wikimedia.de

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
Hi Dr Pavanaja,

Back in April you asked for a list of scholarship applicants and people explained why we only publicise the list of people who are awarded a grant, not the people whose applications are declined. The list of people awarded a grant has been published, your request for a list of applicants has not and hopefully won't ever be published. Nothing has changed. If people apply for a scholarship and are declined that remains a private matter between the applicant and the scholarship committee, unless of course the applicant chooses to say that they applied and didn't get a scholarship.

Regards

Jonathan

This was your email in April.

>>> I would like WMF to make the list of applicants, their contributions, the weightage used for each kind of contribution and the final list of scholarship awardees in a table form. Since WMF is run by the contributions of the volunteers, such a transparency is definitely needed from WMF. I hope WMF will oblige.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Pavanaja

Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
For the past several years anyone who gets a scholarship has to agree to
the release of their user name in their acceptance of the award.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja <
pavanaja@vishvakannada.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Long back when I asked for list of scholarship awardees, with their
> usernames, someone answered saying that the usernames of scholarship
> awardees can’t be disclosed. How come they have been disclosed now?
>

> Regards,
>
> Pavanaja

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
eyoung@wikimedia.org
c. 510 701 8649
Re: Update on Wikimania '17 - Scholarships, Registration, Submissions [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

and an update to Ellie's update... all of the acceptance/rejection/waitlist
emails for the Wikimedia program have gone out, as of early this week. If
you're expecting to hear from me about a submission and haven't yet, let us
know: wikimania-program@wikimedia.org (I know there are still some followup
questions in the queue, but if you haven't heard from us at all there may
be a problem with the email).

And if you were accepted but haven't written back: please do so asap!

We should be able to resolve waitlist submissions within the next couple of
weeks; this is a fairly labor-intensive period of going back & forth to
build the schedule. Thanks for your patience!

Phoebe