Mailing List Archive

how to deal with spam emails in mailing lists
Hi,

On 13/05/2017 07:59, John Mark Vandenberg wrote:
> DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS.
> This is a forged email, not coming from Katie ;-(

thanks for the heads-up.

A piece of additional (and non-requested) advice:

1. As a general rule, when warning about forged emails, if you reply to
the original email or include content from the original email, eliminate
any non-textual content (e.g. images) and any malicious links. Keeping
them only increases the possibility of somebody clicking on them by
mistake, and the non-textual content can be used as a tracking method.

2. try to limit as much as possible responding to the original thread,
because it keeps the forged email up / highlighted in people's inboxes.
This includes the fact that if somebody already pointed out that an
email is spam/forged, it is better not to reply saying "that's right!"
or "thank you". Open a new thread instead and let the spammy email being
buried in your inbox forever. :-)

Ciao,

Cristian

Re: how to deal with spam emails in mailing lists [ In reply to ]
Good advice.

I think we may also be able to avoid reoccurrence of this spam attack
by whitelisting specific Header characteristics of the real Katie, and
then holding any other emails from Katie.
(and then apply the same principles to anyone else who is repeatedly targetted.)

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Cristian Consonni <cristian@balist.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13/05/2017 07:59, John Mark Vandenberg wrote:
>> DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS.
>> This is a forged email, not coming from Katie ;-(
>
> thanks for the heads-up.
>
> A piece of additional (and non-requested) advice:
>
> 1. As a general rule, when warning about forged emails, if you reply to
> the original email or include content from the original email, eliminate
> any non-textual content (e.g. images) and any malicious links. Keeping
> them only increases the possibility of somebody clicking on them by
> mistake, and the non-textual content can be used as a tracking method.
>
> 2. try to limit as much as possible responding to the original thread,
> because it keeps the forged email up / highlighted in people's inboxes.
> This includes the fact that if somebody already pointed out that an
> email is spam/forged, it is better not to reply saying "that's right!"
> or "thank you". Open a new thread instead and let the spammy email being
> buried in your inbox forever. :-)
>
> Ciao,
>
> Cristian

John Vandenberg