Mailing List Archive

Wikimania 2017 call for submissions
All,
I'm very pleased to send out the Wikimania Montréal Call for Submissions,
which can be found in French here:
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/fr
and in English here:
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/en

On behalf of the Wikimania programme committee,
Phoebe Ayers
-----

Que vous soyez un membre de la communauté de l’un des projets Wikimédia
(tels que Wikipédia, Wikibooks, Wikidata, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wikimedia
Commons, Wiktionnaire, MediaWiki ou autres), un créateur de contenu libre
ou un consommateur, nous recevrons avec plaisir votre proposition pour une
session lors de Wikimania 2017.

*dates importantes*

Appel aux propositions ouvert : 2 février 2017
Date limite de soumission des présentations (conférence, panneau, table
ronde et atelier) : 30 mars 2017
Date limite de soumission des brefs exposés, affiches et réunions d’oiseaux
de la même plume : 15 mai 2017.
Notification d’acceptation des présentations : 20 avril 2017
Notification d’acceptation des brefs exposés, affiches et réunions
d’oiseaux de la même plume : 10 juin 2017

*Types de soumissions & Comment soumettre: *
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/fr

*Des questions ?* Merci de contacter le Comité du programme par
wikimania-program(à)wikimedia.org.

----

Whether you are a community member of one of the Wikimedia projects (such
as Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikidata, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wikimedia Commons,
Wiktionary, MediaWiki or others), or a fellow open content creator or
consumer, we welcome your proposal for a session at Wikimania 2017.

*Important dates*

Call for proposals opens: February 2, 2017
Deadline for submitting presentation (lecture, panel, roundtable and
workshop) submissions: March 30, 2017
Deadline for submitting lightning talks, poster, and birds of a feather
submissions: May 15, 2017
Notification of acceptance for presentations: April 20, 2017
Notification of acceptance for lightning talks, poster and birds of a
feather submissions: June 10, 2017

*Submission types & how to submit:*
https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/en

*Any questions?* Please contact the Programme Committee at
wikimania-program at wikimedia.org
Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Do I understand from this that the Sumbission Committe has been composed? From your earlier communication I would have thoght that candidates for the committee would have been notified. Have I missed an email?

Regards,

Chris

Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
Nope, you haven't missed any emails. We had a lot of interest in the
program committee -- thank you everyone! -- and a lot of applications
to sort through, so I'm still writing everyone. But we also wanted to
send out the call for submissions as quickly as possible. My first
email should have read "on behalf of the program co-chairs" rather
than "on behalf of the committee".

Thanks!
Phoebe

Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
OK, but do let me know because while I fully appreciate that if I am on the Committee I will recuse myself from making a presentation submission, If I’m not on the Committee I will make a submission, but I believe my priority is being on the Commission if possible. My presentation is not a priority.

Regards,

Chris

Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

From my earlier experience of Wikimania Program Commitee, you can still
submit a presentation even if you were a member of PC.
In that case, you can exclude yourself from the decision of your
presentation as "Conflict of Interest".

Hopes it helps,

--Takashi Ota [[U:Takot]]

Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
not an opinion of Chris or his presentation for which I have no idea.....
its a comment on the COI position and practicalities

If Chris has to recuse himself from the decision about his presentation
because of a COI would he not also have to recuse himself from decisions on
the other presentations for the same COI in that he would benefit from them
being declined...

A Conflict Of Interest has two methods of attainment

1. by achieving a direct positive outcome
2. by achieving a negative outcome for the competition, thus
engineering a positive outcome

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia
Re: Wikimania 2017 call for submissions [ In reply to ]
As I said. My presentation would not be a priority. Nothing I have to say on a stage at Wikimania is so important. Just being there gets more work done than thousands of words on RfCs and talk pages ;)
When I’m there I also usually help out on multilingual editathons and take part in hackethons.

Chris