Mailing List Archive

Dates : August looks good. Program : transcript online.
Two weeks ago, five weekends were noted as potentials for Wikimania;
of these, the first weekend in August was the most popular. The prime
con for those days was that flights overseas might be more expensive
for those dates than for a few weeks earlier; but no specific
differential was found (at least when comparing prices this far in
advance).

There was a concern last week that it might be hard to get the right
rooms in early August, due to construction or conflicts. Yesterday
Erica (at Harvard) was able to hold a good selection of both rooms and
dorms for August 3-6, so that weekend looks promising.

There was a program-only meeting on Wednesday; you can see the raw
transcript here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning/2005-11-23
it's long... minutes are forthcoming (also for the meeting this past weekend).

Key outcomes : Tracks were discussed; a few people listed some of
their preferred tracks. We should decide on exactly what submission
guidelines should be for a CfP; and on how people should submit
(related point : what conference software to use). Draft text for a
CfP will be worked on for next week. We would like to be able to send
out a CfP by January. As a step toward forming a proper program
committee, people were asked to note their interest in program-work on
Meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams

++SJ