http://international.loc.gov/intldl/intldlhome.html

brian0918
[[en:User:Brian0918]]
Speaker from Library of Congress [ In reply to ]
Google recently donated $3M to the Library of Congress for their World
Digital Library project, which seeks to coordinate with world libraries
to digitize their works. The project is looking for more private
funding, and I've emailed them requesting more information on the
possibility of providing a speaker for Wikimania 2006. If they are
interested, I will put them in contact with one of the Wikimania
coordinators.

More information:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,69646,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_7

Speaker from Library of Congress [ In reply to ]
The World Digital Library looks interesting; though a plan for better
distribution of the digitization process would be nice. What in
particular would you like someone from the Library of Congress to talk
about? Someone specifically working on this project? Dr.
Serageldin, directory of the Library of Alexandria, couldn't make it
last year, but has expressed interest in a future 'mania; he is also
interested in worldwide archives, and Alexandria have (maintain?) a
copy of Internet Archive data.

As you correspond with the LOC, note : I talked with Jan Herd, a
reference librarian at the LOC in DC, last year; who was interested in
helping find a suitable Wikimania speaker, but the timing and expense
didn't work out.

Sj

--
++SJ