Mailing List Archive

Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05
Society of Wikimaniacs
November 5, 2005, 20:00 UTC
irc.freenode.net#wikimania

Present : _sj_, akl, Alkivar, Angela, AnyFile, brettstil, brion,
Chris_Parham, delphine, e2m__, EricaG, gwdash, JamesF, jikomboe,
MikeSnow, mysekurity, Phroziac, randy_f, reagleBRKLN, sasha_ (asw),
Shanel, shekhar, Solensean, TitaniumDreads,

...but silent : Bdka, cathyma, Chiacomo, CraigSpurrier, da_didi,
GerardM, Get_It, here, mattis, MichaelDiederich, poli_, Rdsmith4,
SabineCretella, soufron, SvenDowideit, tobacman, tractor, zwitter
...and away : AppleBoy, Austin, GhostFreeman, JeLuF, mark, Rince,
Schuyler, SethIlys,

1. Long before the meeting, Alkivar links to [[Jason Scott Sadofsky]]
("a computer history archivist... who is humorously anti-wikipedia")
and suggests he would make a good speaker. Also notes that on campus
you can have better parties later than you can elsewhere in town.

2. e2m__ asked if attendees from Asia, Africa, and South America will
be particularly welcome. The meeting is just starting, and this is
never answered... are they? See also the discussion of conference
goals, below.

Via email, Node suggested organizing travel groups of people from
similar countries / languages, to help them get used to the new
environment; and to offer partner-interpreters (for each group?) --
to encourage people with poor English skills to attend who normally
avoid such international events.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2006#International_outreach

3. Time sensitive issues first : dates for the conference? There are
3 promising weekends : July 22-23, July 29-30, and August 5-6. The
weekend in August seems to be the easiest for people to schedule, but
may be more expensive for flights from Europe.

3A - Todo: compare flight prices for these dates.

3B - Harvard professional schools start late for the US, but early
for Europe. UK high schools get out late, will still be in session
mid-July (so flights might be cheaper).

3C - Anyfile did a quick price search; prices were the same for those
two weekends. Group & corporate flight discounts were mentioned.

4. Working with the Harvard dorm & room offices : the [room] office
hasn't sorted out their schedule yet; will get to it "very soon".

UPDATE: The optimal week[end] for dorms is in early August (we
could get any combination of dorms we want, up to 450 beds). Still
waiting on room details.

5. Amgine: will the whole event be at the Harvard Law School? Answer:
No. The MIT Media Lab wants to host some smaller events, even all of
the hacking days. They've also offered to book their largest hall,
Kresge auditorium, if we want to use it.

6. Where is there food? Places mentioned : The Harkness Commons (next
door), on-campus caterers (cheers from the local union member), nearby
restaurants around Harvard & Kendall Square.

7. Timeline : budget 3 months for travel preparation after acceptnace
of papers, for the most difficult cases. CfP in January, December;
give initial acceptances by April.

8A : Next meeting - when is good? rotate every meeting by 15.2 days?
Pick two times and switch between them? Have multiple meetings on
some weeks? We settle on the second option. Next meeting tentatively
set for 1600 UTC, Saturday November 19.

8B : Have short meetings and keep most discussion on [Meta]. Clean
out the Wikimania wiki and decide if want the site to be a wiki next
year.

9A. What should the conference goals be? We agree generally that it
should support the online communities, and be a party and social
gathering; and that it should involve "a conference". We had some
trouble defininzg 'conference.' How could we describe the community
and academic parts of Wikimania more clearly?
Is international outreach important? Increasing the visibility
of small projects? Increasing outreach to underrepresented languages?
Should the goals for this year be different than they were last year?

9B. Naming : JamesF liked "symposium" better than conference, but
didn't find broad support . (Wikisym's use of the term was noted.)
Mysekurity suggested "the [N]th First Annual" conference, a la the
Ignobels. MikeSnow chimed in with "Wikimania 2.0".

10. Design, logos, mascots. Mysekurity wanted a logo contest. This
met with some definite opposition. Conference t-shirts and laptop
stickers, however... JamesF dreams of having a different shirt from
each wikimania in 20 years. Delphine suggests a confernce mascot... a
new one every year. (the Wikipedia worm? Bob the Angry Sunflower? a
dolphin? a weasel? a marmot?)

11. Advisors : Sj brings up Tthe idea of a general advisory panel --
representatives from outside the community, from different parts of
the world, who could suggest and provide intros to potential speakers
and sponsors. Chris Parham noted the structure doesn't have to be
formal, but that getting people involved in this way would be helpful.
Delphine wanted to know what the advisors would do, other than
advising the program team.

12. Announcements. Will there be announcements on the main WP
page[s]? A sitewide notice? When, for how long? At the first
opportunity to sign up, before a major paper/registration deadline? It
is noted that sitewide notices were put up last year on fr:wp, to some
complaints, but not on en:wp.

13. Media streaming. Mysekurity: webcam streams? audio? Mysekurity:
will it be broken down into 'important' and 'not important' segments?
Akl: as long as there's someone to do it... mysekurity would be glad
to '''help''' (emphasis his :)

14. Feedback from attendees and presenters. Attendees from last year
want a social list to keep up with friends from Wikimania. Other
feedback already left on meta needs to be reviewed.

15. Licensing of papers. General agreement: ask speakers to agree to
a reasonably free license, and to audio/video reproduction if they're
being recorded, well ahead of time.

16. Conference planning software. No word from Austin, Jakob, or
Patrick; it is generally agreed that a license agreement on paper
submission makes sense. JamesF mentions that he was at some point
happy to help Austin improve on last year's reg system; regrets
mentioning it again :-) It is also agreed we should choose our
program planning software in time for the program team to look at it.

17. Program team and Papers
This team is one of the first to act. How will it be structured? Who
will be on it? Who will lead it? We should get help from outside the
community; technologists and academics (e.g., Sunir, others from
Wikimania '05?) methodically split up papers into review groups.
Amgine notes CfPs should have a postmark deadline. Delphine says
there should be a very official, and a secret unofficial deadline. Sj
suggests having an early deadline for people who need advnce notice;
Delphine said she will pay Sj a beer if anyone submits a paper early.
Mysekurity: will papers be physical, on a wiki? will they be editable
/ commentable by others before the event? Delphine notes she would
not like that.

18. Other teams
Website and conf-software are also needed soon. Ditto general
conference organization. How should the organization be divided?
Should they be split into formal committees? Do we need to hire
people to coordinate the volunteers, or have an external conference
organizer?
Sj noted there is an agenda item on the upcoming board meeting re:
hiring an organizer for Wikimania.

19. Multilingualism
Soleansan thinks we should translate papers into Swahili, "or at least
in R?union creole," so people don't get the impression that WP is only
English, or only for English-speakers. Alkivar thinks we need
Fr/Es/De translations for every major speaker. Delphine suggests
waiting until registration is opened and we see who signs up. akl
notes that in Frankfurt, none of the German attendees needed
translations. .
Sj added that we know hardly any relevant presenters who don't
speak in English, but if we had a better way of finding/filtering
potential speakers, we might find them. Delphine suggests spending
money on travel sponsorships and visas, and not on translation.. But
we didn't release the CfP in too many languages last year... can sj
evaluate a Russian paper? via a translator. (e.g., the
Chinese-language paper submitted last year)
akl wants to know if the next irc meeting will be held in swahili,
russian or in chinese? :)

20. Closure and followups
Two hours was a bit long. Follow-ups on the wiki:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2006/En#November_5_discussion

++SJ
Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05 [ In reply to ]
SJ wrote:
> 3. Time sensitive issues first : dates for the conference? There are
> 3 promising weekends : July 22-23, July 29-30, and August 5-6. The
> weekend in August seems to be the easiest for people to schedule, but
> may be more expensive for flights from Europe.

As a note: SIGGRAPH 2006 will also be in Boston, runing July 30-August
3. For people who might want to hit both conferences (me, anyway ;) this
could make the August 5-6 weekend very convenient.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05 [ In reply to ]
Hi everybody,

I'm very sorry that i didn't was at the IRC meeting because i didn't
noticed the date. Also i have realy a lot to do in the moment and i
was ill in this week. But i hope i can make some comments :-)

>9B. Naming : JamesF liked "symposium" better than conference, but
>didn't find broad support . (Wikisym's use of the term was noted.)
>Mysekurity suggested "the [N]th First Annual" conference, a la the
>Ignobels. MikeSnow chimed in with "Wikimania 2.0".

There also was a Wikiposium in Austria:
http://www.ocg.at/kultur/wikiposium.html

But the name sound to academic. I would like more Wikimania 2.0 but with
that I'm thinking about a stable vision and a sentence like "edit this
conference" will not fit.

>16. Conference planning software. No word from Austin, Jakob, or
>Patrick; it is generally agreed that a license agreement on paper
>submission makes sense. JamesF mentions that he was at some point
>happy to help Austin improve on last year's reg system; regrets
>mentioning it again :-) It is also agreed we should choose our
>program planning software in time for the program team to look at it.

Okay here are my words ;-): I'm not a developer so wanna have (if you
like to have me in the programm team again) a software that is running
(okay a few errors will be okay if it open source and they will be fixed
soon), but please no alpha testing i think we will get more papers than
last year and we will come realy in trouble. Deplhine wrote that she
don't want pentadwarf because it's need new browsers, but how manny
people will effect by this. Only the programm team and for tham it
wouldn't be a problem to use a new firefox, or?

>17. Program team and Papers
>This team is one of the first to act. How will it be structured? Who
>will be on it? Who will lead it? We should get help from outside the
>community; technologists and academics (e.g., Sunir, others from
>Wikimania '05?) methodically split up papers into review groups.
> Amgine notes CfPs should have a postmark deadline. Delphine says
>there should be a very official, and a secret unofficial deadline. Sj
>suggests having an early deadline for people who need advnce notice;
>Delphine said she will pay Sj a beer if anyone submits a paper early.

I agree to delphine. After the last office deadline comes some realy
good papers. So we taked tham. The secrest deadline was the day where we
was making the programm. I also think there would be mutch early
subissions exspecialy if you say the deadline is or people who need ad.
notice.

>Mysekurity: will papers be physical, on a wiki? will they be editable
>/ commentable by others before the event? Delphine notes she would
>not like that.

I would love that. Because we sould be always a little bit more open
(also with scientific papers) than everybody else. The realy kewl thing
is that people who cant come to the confernece can make somment before
and maybe get there answer. Also editing a paper would not be a problem.
Because you can see who has editing it. What we can make is a link to
the original version or something like that. Please make this confernece
not like very other conferece. Alow the people to try new things, play
with the wiki.

But what we need is a flag what can set by the author after the
conference that editing is over, after that the paper should be
transfered in a non editable version. The versions can be also used to
make some proceding.

I will be there at the next IRC meeting.

CU there

PatrickD
Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05 [ In reply to ]
In case it matters, the women's blogging conference Blogher will be
running July 28-29. I know many people who will be attending that
who would love to attend Wikimania (self included).

danah

On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:23 PM, SJ wrote:

> 3. Time sensitive issues first : dates for the conference? There are
> 3 promising weekends : July 22-23, July 29-30, and August 5-6. The
> weekend in August seems to be the easiest for people to schedule, but
> may be more expensive for flights from Europe.

- - - - - - - - - - d a n a h ( d o t ) o r g - - - - - - - - - -
"taken out of context i must seem so strange"

musings :: http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts
Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05 [ In reply to ]
Note that Harvard Square is near Harvard Law School (restaurants are 5 min. to 15 min. by walking). Kendall Square is near MIT Media Lab. I might be able to interest my mother in providing bed and breakfast for a couple; she has a spare bedroom with a Queen-size bed overlooking a lovely garden.

Conference goals should be:
1. Enhance community interaction: make it more fun to be a Wikipedian / WikiMedian!
2. Improve the quality of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects

I can get professional encyclopedia editors to attend / speak at the conference - all with PhD's in their fields.

I am preparing a paper and/or speech (with slides) on "Online Interactions which Facilitate the Production of Quality".

Ed Poor
(who grew up in Cambridge, Mass.)

Wikimania meeting minutes 2005/11/05 [ In reply to ]
> SJ wrote:
> > 3. Time sensitive issues first : dates for the conference? There are
> > 3 promising weekends : July 22-23, July 29-30, and August 5-6. The
> > weekend in August seems to be the easiest for people to schedule, but
> > may be more expensive for flights from Europe.

Brion notes:
> As a note: SIGGRAPH 2006 will also be in Boston, runing July 30-August 3.

And Danah:
> Blogher will be running July 28-29.

So that's a SIGGRAPH vote not to have Hacking days after the weekend
of July 29-30, but to perhaps have Wikimania the weekend after; and a
Blogher vote not to have Wikimania the weekend of July 29-30.

The other two potential weekends we mentioned, for completeness (which
we mentioned briefly at the meeting) : June 24-25 and July 15-16.
(July 4 week has its own set of problems.)

UPDATE: The events/rooms office still isn't sure of their summer
construction schedule, but wrote yesterday that July 13-16 in
particular we could almost surely have our pick of rooms; and that, on
the other hand, we might not be able to use the medium-sized rooms in
Austin Hall that first week of August.

>>16. Conference planning software. No word from Austin, Jakob, or
>>Patrick; it is generally agreed that a license agreement on paper
>>submission makes sense. JamesF mentions that he was at some point
>>happy to help Austin improve on last year's reg system; regrets
>>mentioning it again :-) It is also agreed we should choose our
>>program planning software in time for the program team to look at it.

Just to clarify - Austin, Jakob and Patrick all discussed this on the
mailing list and wiki before the meeting; 'no word' in my notes just
meant that noone who knew the score was there to comment during/just
before the last meeting. Since getting the program on track is one of
our most pressing deadlines, let's discuss this more before the next
meeting, and perhaps even look at some images or compare experiences
then.

We should have a separate meeting focused on the program team and
organization; if you're interested in this kind of work, please think
about when you are free the week of November 21, and at least note
interest here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2006#Future_meetings

> (okay a few errors will be okay if it open source and they will be fixed
> soon), but please no alpha testing i think we will get more papers than
> last year and we will come realy in trouble. Deplhine wrote that she
> don't want pentadwarf because it's need new browsers, but how manny
> people will effect by this. Only the programm team and for tham it
> wouldn't be a problem to use a new firefox, or?

Pentabarf does seem cool. I'd like to get a what-the-hack organizer
to comment on how it was for them to use it, assuming that they
weren't also among the primary developers...
could someone who knows the WTH folks ask them for input?

Ed Poor writes:
> Conference goals should be:
> 1. Enhance community interaction: make it more fun to be a Wikipedian / WikiMedian!
> 2. Improve the quality of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects

Another unanswered goal question, as the definition of who is a
'wikipedian/wikimedian' is vague : should Wikimania help broaden the
community of editing Wikimedians? Should it try to involve active
users of the projects who are not active editors? Should it be
reserved for academics, great speakers, and people donating
editing-time or money to the projects?

++SJ