Mailing List Archive

Quality (was: Welcome to the "Wikimania-l" mailing list)
> Welcome to the Wikimania-l at Wikipedia.org mailing list!

Thank you. For a robot, you're very polite. No doubt a human being
programmeed you to do that.

But computers do not create quality; people do. People use computers as
tools to reach objectives. A wiki cannot organize knowledge, any more
than a hammer and saw can build a house. A carpenter can build a house
*using* a hammer and saw.

Contributors can build an encyclopedia *using* wiki collaboration tools.

I am most interested in how Wikipedians can organize and present
knowledge in a way that serves humanity.

My special focus has been on resolving conflicts arising from contrary
points of view (POV). This is a topic I'd like to speak on, at the
Boston conference.

Uncle Ed
Quality (was: Welcome to the "Wikimania-l" mailing list) [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/05, Poor, Edmund W <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:

> My special focus has been on resolving conflicts arising from contrary
> points of view (POV). This is a topic I'd like to speak on, at the
> Boston conference.

It's a little early for submissions, but it did remind me to clear out
the http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Call_for_Papers page
ready for next year. :)

I moved last year's page to Wikimania Call for Papers 2005 so we will
have an archive of the previous event. Are there any opinions on
whether this is the best approach, or whether overwriting the old page
would be a better way to keep meta cleaner?

Is wikimania-l at wikipedia.org and wikimania-planning-l at wikipedia.org
the same thing, or is there a reason for both to continue to exist?

Angela.
Quality (was: Welcome to the "Wikimania-l" mailing list) [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a little early for submissions, but it did remind me to clear out
> the http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Call_for_Papers page
> ready for next year. :)
>
> I moved last year's page to Wikimania Call for Papers 2005 so we will
> have an archive of the previous event. Are there any opinions on
> whether this is the best approach, or whether overwriting the old page
> would be a better way to keep meta cleaner?

An archive is a good idea. I moved the page to "Wikimania 2005 Call
for Papers", since "Wikimania 2005" seems to be the historical name
for the event. The text of the old one is now grayed out so it's
clearly dated.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Call_for_Papers

In the same vein, I moved the other Wikimania 2005 pages
("Wikimania:Speakers" ---> "Wikimania 2005 speakers"), and
redirected some tiny ones pages to an archive page:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_archive

I also put up a quartet of new Wikimania 2006 pages, still using
colons in the names (for better or worse... where's that Meta style
guide when you need it?).

> Is wikimania-l at wikipedia.org and wikimania-planning-l at wikipedia.org
> the same thing, or is there a reason for both to continue to exist?

The difference presently is that the latter has moderated membership.

I can see advantages to having a general wikimania-discussion list,
which grows from year to year, and a smaller -planning list which
branches off each year with the active planners (for just 8 months or
so). Then the community could have social discussions about past and
future wikimanias without annoying flustered planners; while planners
could spam one another with minute schedule and other changes, share
information they don't want spiders/bots to see, etc.

SJ