Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Yet another wiki investigation]
Dear Friends,

I'm writing to you (originally intended to some administrator os
wikimedia) after a suggestion by Luis Arias, of Xwiki.org.

We (Andrea Sterbini, Marco Temperini and myself) are researchers in
Italian universities (AS and MT are computer scientists in Rome, and I
am a physicists in Florence).

AS is collaborating in the development of TWiki, and with MT is
interested in collaborative software and lazy management. I am mainly
interested in self-organization but I'm also developing web tools for
teaching.

We all are interested in wikis, in how the wiki technology may be used
in enterprises, formation and education and in the patterns that arise
among users.

We were thinking in concretizing our interests (mainly developed
extra-work) in an European project, with the goal of to studying some
real test cases (we have contributed in setting up a few of them, others
may be easily found), expecially where the wiki concept is unknown (and
Italy is particularly full of such examples).

An abstract of the project may be found at

http://www.complex.unifi.it/twiki/bin/view/Projects/ProgettoALACRE

There is a call of the European Community well suited for this goal

http://www.cordis.lu/ist/workprogramme/wp0506_en/2_5_9.htm
(Collaborative Working Environments)

But we miss international partners and it is quite late (the deadline is
the 21th of september).

However, we are intersted in carrying on this investigation. Since all
of you have a large experience on wikis, you may have suggestions and
comments that are welcome.

Best wishes

--
Franco Bagnoli <franco.bagnoli at unifi.it>
Dipartimento di Energetica & Centro Dinamiche Complesse
[Fwd: Yet another wiki investigation] [ In reply to ]
Hello Franco (et al.),

this is certainly interesting work, but I think you've posted to the
wrong place :-)

Firstly, there is a dedicated research mailing list which is designed
to discuss and promote research in Wikimedia here:
You can find a list of people interested in research, and some
projects, on the meta page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research

Then there is the Wikimedia Research Network which is trying to
identify the needs of the Wikimedia project/community:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research_Network

I think that, if you are looking for collaborators, you could leave a
note on the respective talk pages. It could be down to individuals on
those pages, although there are a number of people potentially
interested and experienced in your field who aren't on those pages.
You don't necessarily have to repeat everything you've just written -
instead you could write a few lines and point people to your original
mail which is here:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2005-September/000001.html
You could also try on-wiki notice boards like the village pump, eg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump

Hope this helps

Cormac