Mailing List Archive

Removal of math PNG rendering mode in REL1_39
Dear all,

today, we removed the PNG image fallback for Math rendering in LTS release 1_39

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/Math/+/898882

By default, math images are fetched from Wikimedia's Restbase instance.

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/

However, this instance will stop providing PNG images shortly.
Therefore, we recommend updating the Math extension if you expect that
your users have chosen to render formulae in PNG instead of SVG
images. According to

https://caniuse.com/svg

99.11% of all users should now be able to render SVG images.

If you render your math images locally

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math#Mathoid's_CLI_interface

you can upgrade whenever you update your local mathoid instance to a
node version > 10. The current mathoid release (0.7.6) still supports
PNG output when configured.

Please follow
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T311620
for more details on the mathoid update procedure.

All the best
physikerwelt