Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki 1.39-alpha will be branched as a beta on 5 September 2022
On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 at 18:10, Tyler Cipriani <tcipriani@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This is a quick note to highlight that in six weeks' time, the REL1_39
> branch will be created for MediaWiki core and each of the extensions and
> skins in Wikimedia git, with some (the 'tarball') included as sub-modules
> of MediaWiki itself[0]. This is the first step in the release process for
> MediaWiki 1.39, which should be out in November 2022, approximately
> six months after MediaWiki 1.38.

To confirm, this is now done.

From now on patches that land in the main development branch of MediaWiki
and its bundled extensions and skins will be slated for the MediaWiki 1.40
release unless specifically backported[1].

If you are working on a critical bug fix that will affect the code in the
release, once the patch has been merged into the development branch, you
should propose it for backporting by cherry-picking to the REL1_39 branch.

If you are working on a new feature, that should now not be backported. If
you have an urgent case where the work should block release for everyone
else, please file a task against the `mw 1.39-release` project on
Phabricator.[2]

If you have tickets that are tagged for `mw-1.39-release`, please finish
them, untag them, or reach out to get them resolved in the next few days.

We hope to issue the first release candidate, 1.39.0-rc.0, in two weeks'
time, and if all goes well, to release MediaWiki 1.39.0 a few weeks after
that.

[0]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bundled_extensions_and_skins
[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Backporting_fixes
[2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mw-1.39-release/