Mailing List Archive

Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4
Hi,

I've been asked to upgrade a very, very old wiki : it was version
1.25.6. I decided to do it step by step, ie release by release.
I carefully backup-ed the database between each iteration, and ran
maintenance/update.php

Everything went fine until 1.34.4, when the vast majority of links were
broken (Page does not exist yet)

There were some stopper between 1.33 and 1.34 ? I read the release
notes, update.php is intended to do the right job

Thanks for help,

Cheers,

Xavier

--
Xavier Humbert
CRT Supervision et Exploitation de Niveau 1
Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Xavier,

Did you run migrateActors before upgrading?

We had similar issues; and the reason was that the user created the page was deleted. MigrateActors fixed the problem for us.

Greets,

Youri.

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Youri,

Non, I didn't, I'll give a try

Thanks,

Xavier

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately I've been hit by the infamous

"User name "XXX" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it. Run
maintenance/cleanupUsersWithNoId.php to fix this situation"

Unfortunately, cleanupUsersWithNoId.php runs, report no error, and does
not correct the problem. It is an already reported behavior

And now, I know that the table prefix_actor is **crucial**, since
without valid actor, the page is lost forever

Xavier

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Xavier,

Our upgrade process was:
- Run createAndPromote with a temporary user
- Then run migrate-actors.bash (see attached file, run with userid of temporary user)
- Then cleanupUsersWithNoId (with —force and —prefix *)
- Then migrateActors (with —force)
- Then update.php

--
Youri van den Bogert
T: + 31 6 38 76 69 23

Afwezig op maandag

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Youri

Thanks for your help, I'll try that

Xavier

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Grrr :

# php maintenance/createAndPromote.php --sysop temp-admin ***
    => OK

# ./migrate-actors.bash.txt -db pole -dbp mw_pole_ -s debserver -u ***
-p *** -i 42
    => OK

# php maintenance/cleanupUsersWithNoId.php --prefix mw_pole_ --force
    => OK

# php maintenance/migrateActors.php
Query: INSERT  INTO `mw_pole_actor` (actor_name) VALUES ('')
Function: MigrateActors::addActorsForRows
Error: 1062 Duplicate entry '' for key 'actor_name' (dbserver)

I'm fed up, give up for now, I fear my database is corrupt beyond
repair... I think about exporting all pages, and the reimporting in a
fresh, empty wiki

Many thanks anyway !

Xavier

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi Xavier,

No problem; but one more last question; did you do it on a clean upgrade?

In other words; you’ll need to do it on a clean upgrade; not after everything is broken :-P

Hopefully you manage to sort it.

Youri.

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Youri,

I did it on what was given to me. A running, even broken database.
I started from the last good (err...) backup

Hence the envy to export it all.

Cheers,

Xavier

Re: Cannot upgrade past 1.33.4 [ In reply to ]
Do all your db tables have the same charset and collation?

I would maybe try using the --tables option of migrateActors.php to do each
table one at a time to try and narrow down where the problem is.

--
Bawolff

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022, Xavier Humbert via MediaWiki-l <