/Vector/skin.json: filemtime(): stat failed for /Vector/skin.json in
/var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/registration/ExtensionRegistry.php:182
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(89):
ExtensionRegistry->queue('/Vector/skin.js...')
#1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/LocalSettings.php(305):
wfLoadSkin('Vector')
#2 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php(204):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#3 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#4 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#5 {main}
thrown in
/var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/registration/ExtensionRegistry.php
on line 182
============================

It looks like it's trying to load the Vector skin from the root of my file
system (/Vector.skin.json). If I try to force it to look in the skins
directory with something like this in LocalSettings.php:

============================
$wgStyleDirectory = "$IP/skins";
============================

I get a totally different set of errors:

============================
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught FatalError: $wgBaseDirectory must not be
modified in settings files! Use the MW_INSTALL_PATH environment variable to
override the installation root directory. in
/var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php:237
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96):
require_once()
#1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#2 {main}
thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237
============================

Since I haven't modified $wgBaseDirectory anywhere, including my
LocalSettings.php, I'm not sure how to interpret this. I can only assume
this variable is derived somehow. I am *NOT* trying to override my
installation root directory; I'm just trying to get the upgrade script to
see the skins directory.

The release notes for 1.38 state: " $wgStyleDirectory and
$wgExtensionDirectory – These are now set later, so can no longer be used
within LocalSettings.php unless explicitly set in that file." I have no
idea how to interpret that; this sentence barely makes any sense. I can no
longer set this variable in LocalSetings unless I set it in LocalSettings?
The documentation here is somewhat... lacking.

At this point, I was able to get my site up to 1.37.3, but I cannot move
forward to 1.38. I remember someone else posting to this list about a
similar issue a few weeks ago, but I don't think they received any
resolution. The only other possible thing I can think worth mentioning is
that I've been running MediaWiki for years now, so I have no idea what
ancient settings might still be lurking in my LocalSettings.php file that
have been retired or changed meaning over the years. I've scanned through
the file multiple times now and I can't find anything to looks out of place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeffrey, I think this is indeed the same issue as in the previous
thread:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/5YKDMFRHANRXKFDLWGLHXTGWSOW7V676/
Of course, you have reached the point where I didn't have a way forward. :-)

A bit of background information: I believe the change that release note
refers to is this: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/757744

One possible culprit: Antique versions of MediaWiki set this snippet in
LocalSettings.php at the top:

if( defined( 'MW_INSTALL_PATH' ) ) {
$IP = MW_INSTALL_PATH;
} else {
$IP = dirname( __FILE__ );
}

It hasn't been necessary in over a decade but will still probably be there
if you installed in the olden days. I'm not sure it would be causing
problems here, but you might want to try removing it.

If that doesn't help, see if this brute-force approach fixes it temporarily:

$wgBaseDirectory = MW_INSTALL_PATH;

Let us know if any of that works.

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck here. I did indeed have the old
"$IP = MW_INSTALL_PATH" block. But if I comment that out, I still get the
same "Unable to open file /Vector/skin.json" error. Same goes for the
"$wgBaseDirectory = MW_INSTALL_PATH" suggestion; that gives me the
"$wgBaseDirectory must not be modified in settings files!" error. Neither
option seems to work for me.

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 6:19 PM Jeffrey T. Darlington
<jeff.darlington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck here. I did indeed have the old "$IP = MW_INSTALL_PATH" block. But if I comment that out, I still get the same "Unable to open file /Vector/skin.json" error. Same goes for the "$wgBaseDirectory = MW_INSTALL_PATH" suggestion; that gives me the "$wgBaseDirectory must not be modified in settings files!" error. Neither option seems to work for me.

I _think_ Vector became part of Core awhile back. Do you have a Vector
in your skins/ directory? If so, you may want to delete it. If not,
look at the offending line in LocalSettings.php, and comment it out.
The stack trace will tell you the offending line in LocalSettings.php.

Jeff
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Each time I upgrade, I unzip the archive to a new directory and copy over
the images and extensions. So I've been using the "core" version of Vector
for a while. That said, commenting out the line with wfLoadSkin('Vector')
still generates the following error:

================
#0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96):
require_once()
#1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264):
require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
#2 {main}
thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237
================

I'm not modifying $wgBaseDirectory anywhere in my LocalSettings.php, so I
don't see why it would be generating this error. (Note that all of the
files in the stack trace are MediaWiki internal files.)

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 6:57 PM Jeffrey T. Darlington
<jeff.darlington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Each time I upgrade, I unzip the archive to a new directory and copy over the images and extensions. So I've been using the "core" version of Vector for a while. That said, commenting out the line with wfLoadSkin('Vector') still generates the following error:
>
> ================
> PHP Fatal error: Uncaught FatalError: $wgBaseDirectory must not be modified in settings files! Use the MW_INSTALL_PATH environment variable to override the installation root directory. in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php:237
> Stack trace:
> #0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96): require_once()
> #1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264): require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
> #2 {main}
> thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237
> ================
>
> I'm not modifying $wgBaseDirectory anywhere in my LocalSettings.php, so I don't see why it would be generating this error. (Note that all of the files in the stack trace are MediaWiki internal files.)

Yeah, we are at this point, too. We experience the error but don't
know how to proceed.

I'm backing out of the MW 1.38 upgrade now. We can't proceed until the
Foundation fixes something.

Jeff
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 6:57 PM Jeffrey T. Darlington
<jeff.darlington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Each time I upgrade, I unzip the archive to a new directory and copy over the images and extensions. So I've been using the "core" version of Vector for a while. That said, commenting out the line with wfLoadSkin('Vector') still generates the following error:
>
> ================
> PHP Fatal error: Uncaught FatalError: $wgBaseDirectory must not be modified in settings files! Use the MW_INSTALL_PATH environment variable to override the installation root directory. in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php:237
> Stack trace:
> #0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96): require_once()
> #1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264): require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
> #2 {main}
> thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237
> ================
>
> I'm not modifying $wgBaseDirectory anywhere in my LocalSettings.php, so I don't see why it would be generating this error. (Note that all of the files in the stack trace are MediaWiki internal files.)

One thing I noticed is, we did not have problems with Skins but you
did. (We had problems with Extensions).

Our LocalSettings.php has this, which may explain why we had no
problems with Skins:

$wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/skins";
$wgStyleDirectory = "$IP/skins";

According to the manual at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgStyleDirectory,
wgStyleDirectory is set to null in 1.38. This is new behavior for
1.38.

Maybe you need to set $wgStyleDirectory and that will fix the problems
with your skins.

(I still can't explain our problem with Extensions. Maybe I need to
set $wgExtensionDirectory. The manual says it is null in
1.38.Previously it was set to "$IP/extensions").

Jeff
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 7:09 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 6:57 PM Jeffrey T. Darlington
> <jeff.darlington@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Each time I upgrade, I unzip the archive to a new directory and copy over the images and extensions. So I've been using the "core" version of Vector for a while. That said, commenting out the line with wfLoadSkin('Vector') still generates the following error:
> >
> > ================
> > PHP Fatal error: Uncaught FatalError: $wgBaseDirectory must not be modified in settings files! Use the MW_INSTALL_PATH environment variable to override the installation root directory. in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php:237
> > Stack trace:
> > #0 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/doMaintenance.php(96): require_once()
> > #1 /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/maintenance/update.php(264): require_once('/var/www/gpf/me...')
> > #2 {main}
> > thrown in /var/www/gpf/mediawiki-1.38.2/includes/Setup.php on line 237
> > ================
> >
> > I'm not modifying $wgBaseDirectory anywhere in my LocalSettings.php, so I don't see why it would be generating this error. (Note that all of the files in the stack trace are MediaWiki internal files.)
>
> Yeah, we are at this point, too. We experience the error but don't
> know how to proceed.
>
> I'm backing out of the MW 1.38 upgrade now. We can't proceed until the
> Foundation fixes something.

I filed abug report on Phabricator at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T311966

Jeff
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Pretty strange, since the error in question literally checks
"$wgBaseDirectory !== MW_INSTALL_PATH". Maybe there's something weird
going on because of the order in which the files are initialized.

What does it output if you add debugging checks for $wgBaseDirectory and
MW_INSTALL_PATH after line 235 in Setup.php?

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Hi.
I had exact the same behavior with an x-times updated version of
mediawiki. This could be solved by generating a fresh LocalSettings.php
file generated by the installer. This makes even more sense since there
have been some changes in declarations which won't make it in that file
when upgrading always. I did it like that:
- Install a fresh instance of current mediawiki somewhere in your web root.
- Take the generated/downloaded LocalSettings.php from the fresh install.
- Merge the individual settings of your old LocalSettings.php into the
fresh generated one using the new declaration style (i.e. for your
individual logo, allowed file types, rights, and so on).
- Put the merged file in your old updated installation.
- Run update.php

This will fix everything. No need for stylePath, extensionPath and all
those hacks.

When done and working throw away the installation and database you made
to generate your initial LocalSettings.php.

Hth,
Steffi

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
This is my second request to be removed from the email list as I no longer
use MediaWiki. I have sent two emails to
mediawiki-l-leave@lists.wikimedia.org and now the second reply into this
Distro.

Thanks and have a great, safe 4th!

Thank you!

--

Respectfully submitted,

/s/

Paul Williams
Co Founder, Digital Matrix Group
IAFST Press Secretary
Editor In Chief, Foreclosurepedia

Association: ?IAFST <https://www.iafst.org/>??
Newswire: Foreclosurepedia Nation <https://foreclosurepedia.org/>
Hedge Fund: Digital Matrix Group <https://digitalmatrixgroup.com/>

I am the Shadow and the Smoke in your eyes. I am the Ghost that hides in
the night.
Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
It never gets to this point. The error is apparently thrown before this.

Mind you, this is only if I keep this line in LocalSettings.php:
require_once( "$IP/includes/DefaultSettings.php" );

If I remove that, $wgBaseDirectory and MW_INSTALL_PATH are the same value.
So perhaps it has something to do with DefaultSettings.php being included
twice...?

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
Very good catch. That line was added by the installer before a rework in
MediaWiki 1.17 (2011). It has been causing DefaultSettings.php to be
loaded twice since then, but that was harmless until 1.38. This explains
why this problem didn't emerge before release, and why using a new
LocalSettings.php file fixed it for Stefanie.

If you remove that line, are there any errors remaining?

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 11:16 AM Jeffrey T. Darlington <

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
No. Once I commented that out, the update script ran successfully. My
wiki is now at 1.38.2.

I will look into trying to generate a new LocalSettings.php file during the
next upgrade, if I can remember to. That said, I run a smallish site and
I'm a one-man shop, juggling several third-party apps in addition to my own
code. It's hard to set aside time to keep up with upgrades (and I'm more
obsessive than most about it), let alone install fresh code from scratch.

Most often when I get bit by a MediaWiki issue, it's situations like this,
where some ancient setting installed 14 years ago falls out of scope. It's
not exactly reasonable to ask users to go digging through 21 major(?)
versions of release notes to figure out that something changed 11 years ago
and the current version breaks it. Then again, I don't have any good
suggestions on how to improve that situation either. I maintain sites and
APIs that others call, and deprecating old code is both necessary and
trouble-inducing. Just... venting some frustration here.

Jeffrey T. Darlington
General Protection Fault
https://www.gpf-comics.com/

Re: Unable to upgrade to 1.38.x from 1.37.x [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 12:45 PM Jeffrey T. Darlington
<jeff.darlington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most often when I get bit by a MediaWiki issue, it's situations like this, where some ancient setting installed 14 years ago falls out of scope. It's not exactly reasonable to ask users to go digging through 21 major(?) versions of release notes to figure out that something changed 11 years ago and the current version breaks it. Then again, I don't have any good suggestions on how to improve that situation either. I maintain sites and APIs that others call, and deprecating old code is both necessary and trouble-inducing. Just... venting some frustration here.

It would be helpful if Mediawiki put a new LocalSettings.php in the
tarball so we can see what a modern one looks like.

Our upgrade process [1] makes provisions for a Mediawiki-distributed
LocalSettings.php, but one is never provided. Our process says to copy
Mediawiki's tarball LocalSettings.php to LocalSettings.php.orig to
preserve a pristine one for reference. But when things go sideways we
never have a reference to check.

Reusing an existing LocalSettings.php is part of Mediawiki's published
upgrade process. [2] "Adapt your LocalSettings.php" is not really
helpful. [3] For example, it did not tell us to remove a call to
DefaultSettings.php from our LocalSettings.php.

[1] https://github.com/weidai11/website/blob/master/mediawiki/wiki-upgrade.txt
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading#Other_files
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading#Adapt_your_LocalSettings.php

Jeff