Mailing List Archive

user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2
Hello,

I successfully upgraded/migrated my old wiki 1.26.0 to a new wiki 1.37.2
about a month ago. But now I realized I couldn't log in the wiki to edit
content. I was not sure what my old user password was but assuming the
old password was less than 8 chars. So I used changePassword.php to
reset my password and set a new one longer than 8 chars.

But when I used it to log in my wiki, it seems to accept but goes back
to original page with only "Log in" link on the top right corner, which
means I'm not logged in. I immediately checked LocalSettings.php if
$wgReadOnly was still configured after the upgrade, which was commented
out with the leading '#'.

What could cause this behavior of the wiki?

Thanks,

Toshi

--
Toshi Esumi
web: http://www.toshiesumi.com
Re: user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 22:15 -0700, Toshi Esumi wrote:
> I successfully upgraded/migrated my old wiki 1.26.0 to a new wiki 1.37.2
> about a month ago. But now I realized I couldn't log in the wiki to edit
> content. I was not sure what my old user password was but assuming the
> old password was less than 8 chars. So I used changePassword.php to
> reset my password and set a new one longer than 8 chars.
>
> But when I used it to log in my wiki, it seems to accept but goes back
> to original page with only "Log in" link on the top right corner, which
> means I'm not logged in. I immediately checked LocalSettings.php if
> $wgReadOnly was still configured after the upgrade, which was commented
> out with the leading '#'.
>
> What could cause this behavior of the wiki?

See also
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug/Login_problems

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
Re: user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 1:16 AM Toshi Esumi <email2@toshiesumi.com> wrote:

> I successfully upgraded/migrated my old wiki 1.26.0 to a new wiki 1.37.2
> about a month ago. But now I realized I couldn't log in the wiki to edit
> content. I was not sure what my old user password was but assuming the
> old password was less than 8 chars. So I used changePassword.php to
> reset my password and set a new one longer than 8 chars.
>
> But when I used it to log in my wiki, it seems to accept but goes back
> to original page with only "Log in" link on the top right corner, which
> means I'm not logged in. I immediately checked LocalSettings.php if
> $wgReadOnly was still configured after the upgrade, which was commented
> out with the leading '#'.
>
> What could cause this behavior of the wiki?

I ran into this issue (or a very similar issue) several years ago. Or
I had the same symptoms. Verify $wgServer matches the server name in
httpd.conf .

MediaWiki 1.34 changed the default value to '$wgServer = false;' I
think that's what broke logins for us. Also see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgServer .

Here are my notes in LocalSettings.php and httpd.conf:

$ cat LocalSettings.php
# Protocol-relative URLs. The server will serve over HTTP or
# HTTPS, depending on what the user requested. $wgServer must
# match the server name in httpd.conf or login will break
$wgServer = '//www.cryptopp.com';
$wgCanonicalServer = 'https://www.cryptopp.com';
$wgSitename = 'Crypto++ Wiki';

# Security related administrivia
$wgSecureLogin = true;
$wgCookieHttpOnly = true;
$wgCookieSecure = 'detect';

And:

# cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/cryptopp.conf
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName cryptopp.com
ServerAlias www.cryptopp.com *.cryptopp.com

# https://linuxize.com/post/redirect-http-to-https-in-apache/
Redirect permanent / https://cryptopp.com/

Jeff
Re: user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2 [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/22 04:31, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> I ran into this issue (or a very similar issue) several years ago. Or
> I had the same symptoms. Verify $wgServer matches the server name in
> httpd.conf .
>
> MediaWiki 1.34 changed the default value to '$wgServer = false;' I
> think that's what broke logins for us. Also see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgServer .
>
> Here are my notes in LocalSettings.php and httpd.conf:
>
> $ cat LocalSettings.php
> # Protocol-relative URLs. The server will serve over HTTP or
> # HTTPS, depending on what the user requested. $wgServer must
> # match the server name in httpd.conf or login will break
> $wgServer = '//www.cryptopp.com';
> $wgCanonicalServer = 'https://www.cryptopp.com';
> $wgSitename = 'Crypto++ Wiki';
>
> # Security related administrivia
> $wgSecureLogin = true;
> $wgCookieHttpOnly = true;
> $wgCookieSecure = 'detect';
>
> And:
>
> # cat /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/cryptopp.conf
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName cryptopp.com
> ServerAlias www.cryptopp.com *.cryptopp.com
>
> # https://linuxize.com/post/redirect-http-to-https-in-apache/
> Redirect permanent / https://cryptopp.com/
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It was spot on.

First I didn't know they needed to match and I changed $wgServer side
only. Also I recently installed a certificate to add SSL support then
forgot to update to $wgServer = https://...

Now I can log in with my username. I appreciate your help.

Toshi
Re: user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2 [ In reply to ]
On 5/11/22 22:34, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See also
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug/Login_problems
>
> Cheers,
> andre

Thanks Andre. I should have searched doc with keywords "mediawiki"
"login problems". This doc was Google's top match.

I appreciate the info.

Toshi
Re: user login issue after upgrade to 1.37.2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 1:14 AM Toshi Esumi <email2@toshiesumi.com> wrote:

> On 5/12/22 04:31, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >
> > I ran into this issue (or a very similar issue) several years ago. Or
> > I had the same symptoms. Verify $wgServer matches the server name in
> > httpd.conf .
>
> Thanks Jeff. It was spot on.
>
> First I didn't know they needed to match and I changed $wgServer side
> only. Also I recently installed a certificate to add SSL support then
> forgot to update to $wgServer = https://...

Glad to hear it. It took us a couple of days to work out the problem
when we experienced it.

I _think_ what happened was, the server was serving pages that
violated the browser's Same Origin Policy (SOP). So you would login
over https using host example.com, and then you would get a http page
from www.example.com and that would blow away the cookie.

In the browser's security model, an origin is a {protocol, host, port}
triplet. All requests have to use the same origin. Switching between
http and https, and switching between hosts example.com and
www.example.com would muck things up.

That's why $wgServer, $wgCanonicalServer, ServerName and ServerAlias
had to line-up properly.

Jeff