the Phabricator ticket to help guide us better.

Thanks for reading
Jon
Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
Jon,

Here;s a thought:

Does the extension to provide equivalent capability exist yet? Does
the MW team plan to write one? If not, why not wait until the
extension is written and the option to use it is available before
deprecating the function provided by $wgUseCategoryBrowser ?

Keith
Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 11:26 -0700, Keith Christian wrote:
> Does the extension to provide equivalent capability exist yet?  Does
> the MW team plan to write one?  If not, why not wait until the
> extension is written and the option to use it is available before
> deprecating the function provided by $wgUseCategoryBrowser ?

Spending time to implement stuff that nobody may ever need or use is
not a good use of time. That's the reason for the public call to please
provide specific use cases. Waiting (and not removing cruft) leads to a
code base becoming less and less maintainable and more buggy.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
Makes sense, Andre.

Thanks to all of you on the Mediawiki project for the great work!
Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
Jon and I have been discussing how such an extension would look like in the mentioned task, as there is a requirement to change MediaWiki to make the category browser possible as an extension. However, as I mentioned in that task, if no one is actually interested in such a feature, I'm not going to bother spending time working on it.

So, using that opportunity; if you (or anyone else) can't live without this feature and would like to see it return in an extension, please let us known by commenting on the task.

Mainframe98
Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
Hello I have been welcome to this wonderful world of wiki and I am so
excited to begin any progression and making forward movements and decisions
in helping people be inspired to do the love we have all seemingly been
called to do I would love to respond on any tests I am new so I do not
understand all of the assignments yet but I have made very good progress in
understanding what the wikis bring to this site and what MediaWiki brings
to the world and I know I could have important input and creative genius in
this realm of life I just may need a little more guidance as far as jumping
in the pool of community
I will look forward to your response in the meantime I’ll try to figure out
the answers for myself God bless

Re: Removal of $wgUseCategoryBrowser configuration flag [ In reply to ]
It makes perfect sense to add the category list it would definitely help
narrow down what I’m trying to search for and how to word it